OMS help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotjez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
HI everyone! I have been diving 10 years on a dive rite transpac and want to move closer to DIR.

I want to get an OMS set up. was at the long beach dive show yesterday and decided on a 32 lb wing with a comfort II harness. I need to order online and am having trouble wit size. The had a harness there with the shoulder pads labelled L/XL...the pads were WAY big.

I figure, OK sm/med.

but...when i went to buy, the choices were sm/med...L...XL. whihc is a little confusing. I read somewhere that the straps are all standard with the only thing sized being the shoulder pads...I am 5'6, with 42 DD!!! so I dont want to make a mistake! anyone have any input?

well, just as an fyi, the comfort II harness is not allowed in DIR. Just be cognizant of that going in. Best thing to do as far as harnesses like that is to go with what size MEN's tshirt you would wear.
The other thing with these harnesses is since they can be adjusted, the harness webbing is all the same length but the pads themselves are different lengths. So if the harness you tried on had the pads all the way back almost touching the back plate, and came down past your nipple line then it was too big. If the pads are too small, just loosen the top straps until the bottom of the pad is just above your nipple line and put a slide lock on there and it will stay. These harnesses take FOREVER to adjust properly because of all of the d-rings and slide locks. I use a transpac and transplace which is essentially the same thing. I love them and wouldn't trade them, but there were many hours spent adjusting them...

I'd start with a simple one-piece Hog harness. It will be DIR compliant and completely adjustable. If you can't get it to work, you won't have lost much money if you switch to something else down the road.

Thanks! and i know it isnt DIR compliant lol...I wanted to go all the way, but I need some adjustability when moving from cold water to warm water suits. and yeah , those L/XL pads were below nipple line and the chest srtap was WAY low.
if that was an XL, i would go L...but it said L/XL...so I am assuming it is the same pad size for L and XL.

I will check out the hog ! I also checked out the new halcyon cinch but it is alot of money!

If I was getting an unpadded harness, this is IMHO the best one out there
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Deluxe Harness QR
Has the chest strap, making it significantly more comfortable. Has the one quick release on the left shoulder which is the only one I ever see used anyway. At $45 you can't really complain about the price either.
$400 can get you the harness, backplate and wing from Northeast Scuba Supply. Pretty good deal for brand new stuff. Others out there as well. The one piece harnesses are easily adjustable for all different sizes. You just don't put slide locks on the bottom of them so they slip thru. I'd go with the deluxe harness and QR though, it's much more comfortable out of the water imho

According to Leisurepro.com
Q: How do I know what size to choose?
A: S-M = 32" to 46" waist, 5'2" to 5'9" height, 150 lbs to 185 lbs, 36" to 40" chest;
Large = 34" to 48" waist, 5'9" to 6'4" height, 185 lbs to 240 lbs, 40" to 50" chest;
XL = 40" to 54" waist, 6'4" to 7'0" height, 220 lbs to 300 lbs, 48" to 60" chest.
If you check the Oms homepage there is a sizing chart matching these sizes !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom