Zeagle Ranger side panel fading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First of all hello to everyone!

I'm thinking about buying a 10 year old Zeagle Ranger for $100. What worries me is the fade on the wing side panel, it's completely white now. That section is made of a different material that looks less rugged, other parts look normal. The reason it worries me is if the panel is that much faded then how well was BC taken care of and how reliable it is... Or maybe the fade doesn't have to mean anything and is normal after a long use... Your opinions? Thanks in advance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would not worry about that fading, some dyes are less stable than others and some fabrics don't hold color as well. If the rest of the BC looks good, odds are that is the problems. Also, pool chlorine (aka bleach :) ) is rough on BC color,some colors worse than others. You should see some of our pool BCs.

From a practical point of view, that pannel just covers the internal bladder so as long as the bladder remains intact a rip in the cover is not an issue. If that pannel rips some, patching it (sewing it back together) may not be pretty but can be done.
And if all else fails, odds are Zeagle will replace the pannels for a reasonable fee.

Just noticed this was your first post, welcome to the board.

IDT that's faded at all but rather a white insert. The rest of the BC looks too black. Check with [user]ScottZeagle[/user], maybe they did that back then. My Ranger is 8 or 9 years old and it's all black - and not very faded.

Here's an example of a newer Ranger with what looks to be a similar density material insert: http://www.zeagle.com/userfiles/image/BCs/Custom/7907RK Red Yellow 01.jpg

At 10 years I'd be more concerned with the condition of the rubber/plastic components like parts of the Inflator hose, the inside bladder - even the plastic tank cam buckles get brittle with age.

Thanks for help guys.

BC should be completely functional, the only damage is the cosmetic one and ripped belt loop which is not that important and is easily taken care of. Stained white insert is not pretty but as long as BC serves the purpose well I'm happy. I believe I couldn't get more for $100. Anyway, I could repaint it someday:)

Diversteve, unfortunately it's not a white insert, traces of the color are visible and the seller says it's faded. Other parts are still black because they are made of different, more rugged fabric.

Are 10 years of responsible use too much for everything to work as it was supposed to ? I know the Ranger has a reputation of very durable BC so I formed an opinion that 10 years aren't that much if it was take care of properly...

I've replaced the inflator once because it kept sticking. ($45)

Also I wanted the new(er) BX inflator since it simplifies bladder rinsing.

Everything else has held up well. And I'm not the best on routine maintenance.

If you need anything - Zeagle Express has most Ranger parts - and ship Int'l via Bongo.

The rest of the bc looks too black for that to be natural fading.

Zeagles tend to look brown after a while.

I would say buy it regardless. As long as it fits of course.

The material was not color fast when used in swimming pools. Pretty common sight and a good reason to recommend black as the choice that will look better longer.
The faded panel was probably bright blue when new. The yellow faded out to white in a hurry.

Yeah the contrast was really weird to me as well. I didn't know the panels come in bright blue, now it all makes sense. Darn, why couldn't he order it in black just like everyone else. Anyway, I'm going to buy it, $100 for such a BC is bargain. If all else works well I'll be more than happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom