Anyone do Mountain Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
Up here in Northern California there are many pristine lakes that I thought I would love to dive in. However, many are around a mile or so in from the parking lot. So, I'm trying to figure out how to schlep my gear in. Anyone have any ideas?

I know I could just hike it in but I'll be mighty tired by the time I get there. I was thinking about loading everything on to a mountain bike and just pushing the bike along. That might work.

Or, can anyone recommend an off road cart? The trails going into the lakes are fairly flat and ridable with a mountain bike.

thoughts, comments?

thanks,
Tony

Lake Rawlings here in VA has these big, off-road, kiddie wagon things to schlep from the parking lot down to the dock. They're pretty damn handy.

Some of the hunting catalogs (Cabela's, ect) have carts for hauling game animals on. Several years ago I used homade cart that had one motor cycle wheel mounted in the center underneath a strecher for a lack of a better way to describe it. We hauled four hundred pounds on it quite easily over rough terain. A hand brake is very important to have on the cart.

I have been thinking about using horses and mules to pack in my gear but I would like to find a set of tanks that has valve covers simular to welding tanks.

Good luck

Deep Lake once bubbled...
I have been thinking about using horses and mules to pack in my gear

I hear that's how the '49ers used to dive.

Those in especially mountainous areas ought to consider llamas, though. They're much more agile in a pinch.

XJae once bubbled...
How about a little red wagon.
It doubles as a psudo wheel barrow and the kids love it.
It is not too compact though.
I own the one above, it hauls up to 300 pounds.
The same company sells one called the big red mule, it hauls 3/4 ton.
No brakes though.

I do have two big German shepard mixes that do nothing but eat me out of house and home. Maybe I'll tie a tank one each one of their backs to see how far they can go and get them to earn their keep!

The game hauling devices may be a good way to go, I'm gonna check.

thanks for the tips.
tony

Nope, no place in particular, I was just trying to think this through about how we can get out into the mountains. I don't like the idea of us schlepping our doubles on our back for a mile or so!

I've looked on the Cabela's site and it looks like the game carriers might be a good option. They hold 250 lbs and are made to go over rough terrain.

Now we'll just have to scout out some of these lakes before the snow comes in!

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom