A beginner in tech -- TDI or IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katsea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm thinking of taking courses in tech diving. But I don't know what course is the right one to begin with.
I have PADI nitrox cert, which allows me up to 40% nitrox. I've checked both IANTD and TDI courses.
IANTD has an Advanced Nitrox course including some limited deco procedure. This course would allow students up to 50% nitrox use.
While TDI Advanced Nitrox course would allow up to 100% oxygen, and their Decompression is a separate course.

Is trimix course also a good option as a start in tech diving?

I'm going to take my course in southeast Asia, probably in the Philippines. I guess both agencies are available in there. Any recommendation or advice are all welcome :D

Puerto Galera in Philippine would be my suggestion for technical diving. Top notch facilities. Dive sites(deep) are very near(5-10 mins).
Heap of experience instructors(DSAT, IANTD, PSAI, TDI) and occasionally GUE as well.
Instructors that I am familiar are Mark Cox(Capt Gregg), Frank Doyle(LBC) Ethei but Paul Neilsen is THE man. Daddy Paul, need no introduction and with well over 15yrs of experience. You won't find too many instructors that can rival him.

Trimix is NOT for the beginner.

Yes, they do have a spunky logo :D

I would really get more diving experience before making the step to tec. Once you do it is all about the instructor, agency don’t matter even though I am tempted to name one. If I recall correctly you require at least 100 dives (at least 30 below 100f and deep air qualified) to participate in advanced nitrox with an agency I was reluctant to name.

Trimix is appropriate for diving deeper than around 100ft. If your diving plans take you deeper than that, then you need the mix training, as well as the buoyancy skills to control your ascent and switch to your deco gases at the appropriate time.

Before undertaking any tech training, I recommend getting into a GUE Fundamentals class. Even if you decide not to continue with GUE, it will teach you very important skills and techniques. Graham Blackmore is in HongKong, and Gideon Liew and frequently travels throughout Asia to teach classes.

Goodluck!

Quality of the instructor, and your personal rapport with them, matter far more than agency.

Most agencies follow a simular progression of courses, even if they don't exactly match in content or have the same names.

The basic progression is as follows (names will vary with agencies):

1) Advanced Nitrox
2) Deco Procedures
3) Extended Range
4) Trimix
5) Advanced Trimix

Sometimes a recreational (normoxic) trimix course will be available at stages 2-3.

I would second the recommendation for GUE Fundamentals. No matter what course your technical training takes after that, you will be better for having done the class. It will introduce the standard to which one must rise for safe technical diving, and polish skills and awareness. You can go anywhere from there, with a good basis -- or continue with GUE, if you like what you saw.

Many thanks for all your advice~ I'm gonna put GUE fundamentals in my future plan for sure. I've heard good things about this course sooo many times.
Right now, I would still like to have some recommendations of instructors etc. in the Philippines. I suppose GUE courses need a lot of time to plan ahead, right?

Many thanks for all your advice~ I'm gonna put GUE fundamentals in my future plan for sure. I've heard good things about this course sooo many times.
Right now, I would still like to have some recommendations of instructors etc. in the Philippines. I suppose GUE courses need a lot of time to plan ahead, right?

Andy (posting above as DevonDiver) is based in Phillipines. That would be a decent start if you plan to be in those areas.

Just FYI, you can use 100% O2 with IANTD. You just gotta stay at 1.5 PPO2 or above.

In any event... IANTD or TDI... if you got a crappy instructor, it really doesn't matter which way you go. Try to find the content you want, by an instructor that doesn't suck. If you can't find both, wait to take the class until you can find both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom