Coffins Patch Archeology Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Theres a class offered in underwater archeology at Coffins Patch
off Marathon in the Keys. Anyone have any info on the class?
Coffins Patch is a shipwreck site for the Fleet of 1733.

Before there was a sanctuary lots of people used to work it. I'd be intersted in the class. If you find out please post it. Thanks

PS on that last post.

Have you read Martin Meylachs "Diving to a flash of Gold" it's all about the 1733 fleet and the treasure hunters that worked the wrecks. Definitely not marine archaeology. Meylach had run ins with the state over leases etc. His book has a chart of 100 shallow shiprecks in it, from the middle keys to Fowey light. It has all the wrecks he collected over his years as a treasure diver, the state was not happy about the publication at the time (1971). It's probably my favorite book and I've read it many times over the years.

Most are now protected in either Biscayne Monument or the Keys sanctuary. There is an area north of Elliot key your not even allowed to snorkel or float over. Legare anchorage behind triumph reef is marked on the charts with the warnings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom