Dive The Five

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
:) Just as a note of interest, from time to time the Historical Diving Society of the USA puts on an opportunity to dive in "heavy dress" with the Mark 5 helmet. If you get the chance, DO IT!!:)

I have been on surface supply, and used Superlite17's a fair amount, but nothing gives you an understanding of what it was like "in the old days" except actually slogging along on the bottom hauling hose in heavy gear to accomplish some task.

My respect for the old time divers went up a whole bunch of notches, and it was high to start with!:yea:

I did this off of a US Navy vessel in the orignal "lead coffin" suits. They forgot to adjust boat speed for slow a$$ diver walking and stretched the line. Free ride, bad landing, no fun. HEHE

USMC Diver once bubbled...
I did this off of a US Navy vessel in the orignal "lead coffin" suits. They forgot to adjust boat speed for slow a$$ diver walking and stretched the line. Free ride, bad landing, no fun. HEHE

Hey, wadja expect? The Navy guys were probably peeing themselves with laughter over the chance to troll for sharks with a Marine!:rofL:

I am very doubtful we will ever hear from USMC diver unless it is under a different screen name.

It is sad when someone is so desperate for acceptance they will try to gain it on the backs of the folks that really earned it...

I took the liberty of contacting a friend of mine who happens to really be a USMC Diver because your statements did not ring true...

On another subject:

Do you know of any unit like this? Smells like smoke to me, the individual is referring to himself as USMC Diver.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Post #1:
I am a regional trainer for Forward Observation/Insurgancy Operations for Inspector and Instructor (I&I staff) for verious Reserve stations in the 4th Mar Div. I am active duty, working with the active duty counterparts, whom work with the reservist. I work from Wyoming to Texas, Arizona to Luisiana. I travel a lot. Our Battalion HQ is in Houston with 1st BN 23rd Mar. Hope that helps. I am officially attached to 4th Mardiv (MEB), Operations. I do a lot of SOC certification (Special Operations Capable).

Post #2:
Most military dive training takes place in Coronado, CA these days. Especially for SpecOps, or as you put it SOF. Coronado has recently become the JTFUTC (Joint Task Force Underwater Training Center). It is awesome. They even do civilian crossover tec training. I love working there and am anxious to get back.

Post #3:
During a Deep Assault Training Course (Sort of like an AOW/Deep speciality/Multi gas/multi level dive) my student was trailing behind me. We were doing a sloping beach ascent at about 20fsw after having been at max bottom depth of 180fsw, anyway, we had completed all our deco obligation and were preparing for the final beach assault when I get the tugging on my fin. Have you ever seen a Marine OOG but trying to act in-control and macho? It is pretty funny the colors he was turning. He gave the sign for OOG and proceeded to stare at me in the most "I am going to die way". So I gave him the Octo and he took my octo (regular rec setup) and we proceeded to storm the beach (in training).

It was pretty funny though when his head looked like it was going to explode. Well, it probably wasn't so funny to him...but...needless to say, he fail the course and had to repeat it and he bought the beers. Too funny.

Post #4:
I jump out of helo's and planes with parachute and either scuba or rebreather for a living in the Marine Corps but I had never heard of getting wet then hitching a ride on a helo bucket then sky-diving out and into a forest fire. Kind of a stupid sport if you ask me. I am Glad it is a hoax. Might buy one of those T-Shirts though.
Jeff,

Sounds like a big bowl of crap to me. First off Marines do not do and I say again Marines do not do Mixed gas multi level diving. We used either SCUBA, the UBA or the viper, both the UBA and viper are shallow water diving units. No Marines are attached to the SEALs who are probably the only ones other then Navy EOD who would do that type of profile. Not sure of the name of the school other then BUDs and they have started a SEAL advance diving course, again I don't know the name of the course. On another note no Reserve Marine has the expertise in this type of diving as it pertains to military diving. He knows the lingo and is probably a civilian diver who maybe in the Marine Corps Reserve. He is not a Recon Marine since he never mentions a recon unit or their location. Again he probably is just a civilian diver who is in the Marine Corps Reserve and knows diving lingo and has read or heard of the SOF does. If he is a Marine Combatant Diver he would have stated that we have our own school house. HE IS A FAKE.

MSgt
SNCOIC, Marine Corps Combatant Diver Course
Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center
Panama City, FL 32407-7016

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom