Metal Backplate vs Comfort Harness for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver57

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm new in the Tec World - any opinions on metal back plates and harness vs comfort harness for double tanks?

Ignoring, for a moment, the whole 'comfort harness=failure points=you're going to die' argument...

I started off with a comfort harness. It's what I used for my first courses, it's what was most easily available to buy. It's not actually very comfortable... When I switched to a 'hogarthian' single continuous length of webbing harness - no pads, no clips, no weird extra lengths of webbing with plastic tri-glides to allow for adjustments - I was amazed at how much more COMFORTABLE it is.

You really don't need all the extra crap you'll usually get on comfort harnesses. A single length of webbing, properly adjusted (which takes about 15 seconds), three d-rings, a crotch strap, a metal plate. Easier to use, easier to replace worn parts, more comortable to wear. Oh, and it won't make you automatically die! :-D

Much of whether you want an aluminum or stainless backplate is going to be based on trim. The tanks play the largest factor in that decision. With double steel tanks (I.E. HP100's) for instance an aluminum plate might help you trim out better. With aluminum 80's you might be better off with a stainless plate.

I started with a basic HOG one piece harness and never looked back. My whole point of going to the HOG system was to get rid of fluff! No padding, buckles, etc., that weren't needed. Simple is better.

I'm starting with double aluminums - Steel backplate is a good point!

I have a simple harness and a Dive Rite Transplate. The simple harness never gets wet. Probably 400-500 dives on transplate and nothing has broken and I'm not dead yet.

Randy

WTF is a "Comfort harness"?? I dive with Al and steel backplates with webbing and they are all plenty comfortable.

Go with what works under the water, not with what works above the water.

Thanks for the input - any brand better than the other.
If money is an issue keep an eye out for used gear. Otherwise Dive Rite and other brands are reasonably priced. Scuba Toys, Dive Right In Scuba, Northeast Scuba, along with a bunch of other places offer packages for reasonable prices.

If you are interested in a used wing I have one for sale, that I kinda forgot I had again. I let it go for $150 shipped. Reg is sold.
Oxycheq Wing For Sale

You can use a wedge weight mounted between the tanks to add in a some more weight over your lungs.

I started off with a comfort harness. It's what I used for my first courses, it's what was most easily available to buy. It's not actually very comfortable... When I switched to a 'hogarthian' single continuous length of webbing harness - no pads, no clips, no weird extra lengths of webbing with plastic tri-glides to allow for adjustments - I was amazed at how much more COMFORTABLE it is.

Same thing happened to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom