Coming to Alaska in July and want to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be doing a cruise with Holland America and want to dive in Alaska while I am there. I have tried to contact a dive shop in Ketchikan and Sitka with no luck. I email and they don't reply, I call and leave a message and nobody calls back.
So, who can I call to get something set up?

I was able to get a hold of someone at Snorkel Alaska for a shore dive in Ketchikan, unfortunately I won't be able to line up the slack tide in time to get back on the boat.

Good luck finding a buddy. I'm looking for someone in Juneau myself.

I talked with Fred at snorkel Alaska myself. I still don't understand that you can snorkel the basin but you can't dive the basin due to tide.
I'm in Juneau on July 4th.

I will be doing a cruise with Holland America and want to dive in Alaska while I am there. I have tried to contact a dive shop in Ketchikan and Sitka with no luck. I email and they don't reply, I call and leave a message and nobody calls back.
So, who can I call to get something set up?

Which cruise are you on? I'm on the sailing on the 30th and trying line up some diving as well.

-K2

I'm on the Westerdam. Junuea on the 4th, Sitka on the 6th,and Ketchikan on the 7th.

I'm on the Westerdam. Junuea on the 4th, Sitka on the 6th,and Ketchikan on the 7th.

Wow, that doesn't leave you much time. I'm on the exact same cruise, just 4 weeks later. Have you checked Cruise Critics? They have a section called Roll Calls where all the people on a particular cruise can post. You might have some luck there finding someone who is interested and knows a shop. I say 'might' because I've not had any luck to date with this approach - for this cruise or the one I took last year to the Caribbean. But you never know.

Good Luck
-K2

FINALLY!! I talked with Island Fever Diving (907-747-7871) and they will just about do anything that is possible for you to dive. If they have two or more they will book a charter. If you want to rent gear and walk across the street there is a shallow reef (30-40'). There are also a couple of spots that you can catch a taxi to.
From the sound of it you will always need to call ahead and make sure that someone will be there. This time of year they cater to the snorkelers off the cruise ships. The natives don't dive till October. If your cruise line offers the snorkel adventure you can hop the bus to the shop. If not they are about a block away.
BTW, this was the first call that I made to Island Fever Divers. I was impressed.

With that said, If anyone is going to be in Sitka on the 6th from 9AM-5 PM and wants a dive buddy or charter let me know. If not, look for the solo diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom