Diving around Pompano Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, it looks like the trip to the Keys is out since we can't get a timeshare exchange that will work for us in November. I've been checking out other areas in FL to dive that have timeshare exchanges that will work. There are a couple in Pompano Beach that look good. What I need to know now is if the diving around there is worth the trip AND which dive shops I should check out.

I love replies from ScubaBoard contributors because I believe they can be trusted. So, thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Cheers!

islanddream

Beach diving in Pompano is excellent and you can dive at a number of beach locations both day and night that are within a half hour's drive both north and south. There are at least three really really good dive boats in the area and an extremely active bunch of local divers - many who are part of of the local Yahoo Meetup group. If you have a car, you can also jump on the expressway south and be in Key Largo in about 90 minutes and boat dive on the wrecks and reefs of the upper keys or north to Blue Heron Bridge in an hour and muck dive inland where you'll see the coolest macro life collection around here (BHB has its own thread on this forum if you'd like more information about that site.)

Diving conditions in November can be iffy. While it would be an exaggeration to describe South Florida as where "the gales of November come calling", I've had some very easy and some very rough diving here in that month - it all depends on the weather.

As far as specific shops, I do almost all my business with Gold Coast Scuba who have treated me very well since they opened, but Force E in Pompano, Scuba School in Lauderdale, and Divers Direct in Dania also seem good. There are several others around that I can't comment on only because I haven't used them.

Pompano has a very pretty shallow reef some call The Nursery near the Coppenhagen wreck. The area also has many interesting deeper wrecks as well. I agree with the comment above: November can be a bit bumpy, but then again, it can be in Key Largo as well. These are the shops I've used. All are good (imho).....

Gold Coast Scuba » Your Site Name

.:: SCUBATYME ::.

Pompano Dive Center

Visit One of the "Top Ten" Scuba and Snorkel Dive Locations, Sunny Sourth Florida, with South Florida Diving Headquarters This shop seems to go to the shallow reefs quite often. While not identical to shallow reefs in the Keys, the Nursery site I mentioned about will be the most similar to what you experienced in the Keys on shallow reefs

http://www.force-e.com/stores/pompano_beach_scuba_center.shtmln this shop does not operate its own boats but brokers with local dive boat operators. If there is a specific site you want to go to, they'll likely be able to find a boat for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom