Oxygen clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When a diver needs a 1st Stage oxygen clean, they do not simply take it out in back, hose it down with Simple Green and swap out a few O-rings. True oxygen cleaning takes place in a special clean room, whose atmosphere is free of dust and contaminants. Once the component is free of hydrocarbons and other combustible elements, it is sealed within a sterile environment and never again exposed to normal atmospheric dust, moisture and contaminants. This is what it really means to be "oxygen clean."

I'm pretty sure most reputable dive shops offer this service, or know where to ship your reg. for proper O2 cleaning. It's not very expensive...considering it could possibly prevent an O2 fire in your 1st stage.

Thanks for the info. It seems it might make sense for me to have a separate reg for nitrox since many places I travel do not offer it. It also seems logical to include this in annual servicing because they have to open reg for this. Is there anything more fun than outpacing your 21 yr old son back up the beach after a dive with the help of nitrox? I told him he doesnt need it. Of course I used to let a little air out of his tires before our bicycle trips so I could keep up.

For recrational nitrox (40% or less) you don't need O2 clean regs.

ScubaRon once bubbled...

Well, that's an opinion that is not shared by the equipment manufacturers and many agencies. And it has already been discussed: his link :snorkel:ScubaRon

The poll show's 88% of respondents believe no cleaning is necessary, just what jeffkruse and jimc said. What exactly is your point?

I,m also a little fuzzy,
I tough that regs have to be Nitrox ready, meaning that o-rings have to be changed (regular o-rings can't hold up to higher oxygen content.
and I'm pretty sure thats not the same as Oxygen clean.

If I'm wrong, how do I oxygen clean my BC after every dive?
Or if I'm using my drysuit should I be oxygen clean as well?

No disrespect intended, I am not a tech diver and don't know alot about the subject.

JimC once bubbled...
For recrational nitrox (40% or less) you don't need O2 clean regs.

That's it. With recreational nitrox levels you don't need a specially readied "nitrox ready" anything. Your normal old o-rings will work.

PRL once bubbled... I,m also a little fuzzy,
I tough that regs have to be Nitrox ready, meaning that o-rings have to be changed (regular o-rings can't hold up to higher oxygen content.
and I'm pretty sure thats not the same as Oxygen clean.

If I'm wrong, how do I oxygen clean my BC after every dive?
Or if I'm using my drysuit should I be oxygen clean as well?

No disrespect intended, I am not a tech diver and don't know alot about the subject.
Nothing that sees EAN40 or less needs to be changed at all, so your BC or drysuit can be as dirty as you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom