Salt River Treasure Hunting Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giladshay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,

I just wanted to thank personally to each one of the divers, was with me in Sheet Crossing: Steve x 2, John, & JAX.
Though I dove 2 dives only, alll the others stayed for another dive or two.

Our treasure was huge this time :cool3:.
(Could have been more if I'd have brought my Goodi Bag with me).
I just wanted to say that I had a wonderful time :D.

Attached please find a video clip from that day:
YouTube - ‪giladshay 11 6 11‬‏
Enjoy it.

P.S.: At this point, I'd also like to emphasize the wonderful service I get from Saguaro Diving Shop, in Impala St, which refills my scubadiving tanks every time I return from dive, and yes... it's for free !!!:cheerleader:

Great diving with you again Gilad. We'll have to do it again sometime soon. You did great with the video considering the conditions. Next time I'll bring my camera with me.

Steve

Reactions: Jax
Oh, Man, I got doinked!!! :rofl3: Y'all beat me to it, because it is hard to write a book!!!!!! :D I had a wonderful Saturday with you guys!! :hugs:

After receiving a kind invite from stnichols, I again did the 4-hour drive to Phoenix to meet with SBers stnichols, scubasteve2000, giladshay, and John. I was looking forward to it because I could dive my singles rig in preparation for Bonaire. The first hint that things might not go well was my first exit from IH10 - Loop 202 East exit ramp was closed. This proved not to be an anomaly as it seemed every way I wanted to go was also under construction or closed . . . :huh: Finally, there was no doubt I'd be late for our 7:30 show time. :blush:

I called up stnichols, who immediately said, "I may lose you, I'm in a ba---" . . . He knows his cell zones! After a minute or two, he called me back, and was graciously understanding as I explained that I was doing loop de loops on Phoenix's famous loops, and that I still needed to get my Tonto pass. Unfortunately, because I was on the phone, I missed the exit for Loop 101 . . . . :doh:

Easy, peasy, right? take the next exit, and go 101 north . . . except that you couldn't get there, so I had to go 101 south, U turn, and back up north . . . loopy! :loopy:

For those of you who don't know, the National Forest Service has a way to avoid gatekeepers and associated costs by having convenience stores sell day passes for the Tonto National Forest. Rather ingenious cost-saving measure - you scratch off the date-time of arrival and display it in your windshield. However, it seemed the scuba gods were not done messing with me because there wasn't one convenience store on the road to the forest area, so I had to do yet another turn-around to find a store on the other side of the expressway . . . . :chuckle:

It was easy enough to find Sheeps Crossing from the Bush Highway, but I did have a bit of "Oh, NOes!" because of the "T-intersection" that was not expected . . . fortunately, there was a bit of a hint as the right turn had a "Road Closed" sign . . . :coolingoff:

The left turned into a parking lot where scubasteve2000 and stnichols were awaiting. These lovely gentlemen helped me haul stuff the hundred yards to the river where John and giladshay were enjoying the shade of a huge mesquite. I again recounted my roundy-bout trip, and dear John validated my feelings, saying that Phx did indeed seem to have shut down every stinking ramp in the city! :shakehead:

A bit of a haul . . .
01_Bit_of_a_haul_-_100_yds.JPG

Convenient Step-Through
02_Step_through_-_convenient.JPG

Path to the River
03_Path_to_the_river.JPG

To the right, Kayaks coming down
04_View_to_the_right.JPG

First to the site gets the shade!
05_If_you_are_1st_you_get_shade.JPG

We chatted and learned a little about each other - stnichols has a most amazing winter job (our winter, their summer) supporting Antarctica! My favorite story is when they 'phone home' to people at work . . . "May I ask who's calling?" "The South Pole." :rofl3: SS2000 is working with sidemount (Hooray, another converteee!). In the meantime, I got into my drysuit as my tank and BP/W was already set up. I had some issues with a free-flowing reg, so I swapped it with the reg from my O2 bottle. Yes, all are O2 clean as were the tanks and gas. Thank God I threw the 'freeflow' reg in my save-a-dive bag. As I had not yet order the Bio seals, I again electrical-taped my neck seal. I must've done something right as it didn't leak . . . this time. :blush: Not so right - my freshly exchanged bungee'd reg was seeping air. I could hear it. I took off the faceplate, and it stopped. Definitely, it was out of adjustment, because the faceplate caused it to seep again.
GRRR. :mad: I decided to breath out of that one.

The gentlemen gave an excellent site brief -- the river bed slopes to 2/3s of the way across, and goes to 30 feet the last 1/3. The current is in the far half, and you need to hug the bottom. If you come too far back, you'll hit the rapids. Just after the rapids is a calmer, sandy spot where you really have to get out, or the real rapids will get you belong that.

(I resolved to not go there!) :D

They continued to say that they swam across, hugging the bottom, and then turned up-current for 15-20 minutes and just picked up what they found. They also mentioned that you WILL lose your buddy, so be prepared. Then they turned around and drifted back to our location. An excellent brief, to be sure . . .

I didn't quite internalize that hug the bottom thing. We got into the main stream, and I was hugging about 6" to a 1" from the bottom. No matter how hard I kicked into the current, was going backward and as promised, rapidly lost sight of anyone. Exercising the better part of valor, I headed into the shallows on the same side of the river from which we came, and headed upriver in accordance with the plan. Also, my reg was definitely blowing - the current was pushing on the diaphragm . . . I finally unscrewed the faceplate and put the diaphragm and faceplate into my pocket. I was in less than 10ft of water, so I considered the risk minimal enough to do so. I went on my primary.

There was a tremendous amount of trash and aluminum cans on the river bottom -- if I had brought a bag, I could have filled it a hundred times. I picked up fishhooks, a pair of scissors :huh:, a lighter, cut some mono-filament, a broken kayak paddle, etc. Mardi gras beads? What? I figured I could tell them it was none of their business how I 'earned' my beads! :giggle:

Gas Management was interesting. Starting with 1700psi, I figured I could use about 800 going up current, and 400 coming back. Dutifully, I turned at 900psi, and used, oh, about 20psi coming back! :lol:

I climbed out and dropped my stuff under the tree, and went back to grab whatever for the next diver, John. He had a motherlode - 'fresh' (uncoated) sunglasses, about a dozen old sunglasses, a gorgeous-though-broken blown glass drug bowl, a set of wheels . . . :huh: . . . and bunches of mardi gras beads. Oops, there went my joke.

Some of the booty!
07_Spoils_of_1st_dive_.JPG

Colorful Kayaks / Tubers on the River.
08_Color_on_the_river.JPG

Last edited:
For the second dive, I swapped back the other reg. Better a tendancy to freeflow than actually doing it! This time, I glued myself to stnichols and did as he did going across the river. I did not do so well with the electrical tape this time . . . I was leaking in the neck seal. Every time I turned my head to the side to look at my buddy . . . :( The water was 68, and I decided to stick it out.

First, when they say hug . . .we're talking ON the bottom. Dig those gloved hands in. We got across the bottom . . . there was a spot where the sand turned to nasty muck . . . . :yuck: Then we were on the opposite rocks. For those of you that have seen cave diving videos, where the person is dragging themselves against the flow . . . yeah, like that. After a bit, you fell into a rythim . . . Imagine kicking hard with your legs, and walking your hands like a Kimono dragon . . . Yeah, like that! :cool3: Keep your face down, and the current actually pushed you into the bottom.

Again, without a bag, . . . and feeling the cold seep down my chest onto my stomach :cold: - I was happy to watch the practiced moves of stnichols. He was wearing a 3mm . . . at first I was surprised when he called the turn-around, but I realized, that 3mm in 68o . . . I was okay, until I stood up . . . water flowed down my legs, filling my feet . . . :crying:

Again, another fine booty collection . . . John had found yet another glass bong pipe . . . wondering if the cops were on the river? Another boom box, sunglasses, a quarter . . . they look for 'booty' on the way up, and pick up trash coming back.

So, third dive is "out" for me - I was soaked on the front! Unfortunately, it did result in a bit of a wet t-shirt thing, and yes, that stinking water was COLD!!!! It was lovely, diving with such gentlemen. :) I got out of my undergarments, wrung them out, and hung them on the tree. Same with the drysuit, so the river water could run out. The wetness was very cooling, but welcome, as the temps were around 95F by then. As I dried out, it became apparent that the river water was dirty, as my white shirt and shorts had a definitely 'high water' line along my side! Eeeewwwwwwww :yuck:

The gents geared up and headed back in . . .

Going out for the 3rd Dive.
09_Begin_3rd_Dive.JPG

I am watching the ever-more crowded river as the guys submerge. In this particular place, eddies cause the floaters to gather around right in front of our area. Shortly, before the guys were half-way across, there was a huge crowd. THAT is when I found out about the Mardi Gras beads. A . . . :hm: 'Sweet young thing', in the spirit of, "if you've got it, flaunt it", stood up and proudly flashed the crowd. Oh, yes, she had a lot to be proud of! Poor young woman was pelted with beads!!!! (no, I was not so tacky as to take a picture!) I was LMAO!!! :rofl3: I'm sure she was bruised.

I continued packing while watching the zoo . . . OMG, I had forgotten how entertaining a crowd of drunk / stoned college students could be!!! What do expect from ASU students? (<-----for my UofA husband's benefit!) Ah, yesssss . . . eye candy. Also, they had these marshmallows that were only a little smaller than tennis balls, and were throwing them at each other, as well as wearing odd costumes (horns?), huge squirt-guns, and air-horns. I was entertained enormously!!!!

John was first in, again -- his prizes were a quarter (they played quarters on the river!), two electronic cigarettes, more cool beads . . . . Then, as he was watching the zoo . . . up popped a squirt gun! off he went! He brought it into shore . . . Yikes! :fear: Armed and dangerous. He gently squirts it toward a little girl on our 'beach', and she is off to find hers for a [water] gunfight. . . . but John just hangs out after some play . . . .

stnichols comes in . . . not realizing John's intent to ambush!!!!

John ambushes Steve, who deploys his bumbershoot to keep from getting "wet". :rofl3:

What a fantastic, new, fun experience!!!!! The tree-hugger in me wants to come back and haul out garbage. Kudos to another diver that did just that - he hauled at least a thousand cans out -- Someone said, ' there's enough aluminum in there to build a 747 . . . .' I think that isn't far off!

I had a tremendous time with you guys! Thanks so much for asking me, and adding to my varied experiences! :hugs: :Kissy:

Air temp went from 89F to 97F, and water temp went from 68F to 70.6F.

Vis went from 5' to 20', depending on the current.

Wow you are right when you say a book. And great pictures to boot! Thanks for taking the time to come join us. I need to get some more dive time before heading south again so we'll have to do it again soon.

Have a great day and enjoy life
Steve

Reactions: Jax
It was great diving the river with Steve, John, Gil and of course Jax. I hadn't been to the river in a couple of years and the flow (1500+ cubic feet per second according to the SRP web site) took some getting used to. The coolest things I found were an Ipod and "diver" style watch (it was water resistant???), both drying out right now. I also found a visa card (never leave home without it but leave it in the car when you go drinking and tubing).

I got to do my good deed for the day because it was an REI visa. I took it to REI and turned it in. It looked like it had been dropped that morning so there's every chance when the guy calls to report it lost they'll let him know that they have it. The look on the CS guy's face when I explained that I found the card while diving at Salt River was priceless.
Almost as priceless as diving with such good friends, old and new. Let me know when you are going out again. Lake Pleasant or the river.

See you at the lake. (or river)

Some more photos

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

A=The fall. Getting there- It's too late. Move to the side, get out of the water and go back by a short walk. The fall includes dozens of Catfish, but you can't stay there that long, so you can see it for seconds. btw, the vis there is great.

B=Current to the other direction, and sometimes nothing. The Junkyard is there.

C=The last place photographers can use for shuts before the fall, but it needs to work with the feet in order not to drift to the fall.

Tomorrow (6/8), at Cheep Crossing we meet again at 08:00 for another session. At the moment we're 3-4 divers. Successful Treasure Hunting... maybe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom