Air Control good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to get the Mares Air control and loose my octo to get more streamlined. Any good reviews? I have the Mares Icon BCD and only do rec diving.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the pictures make it look like an Air 2 integrated octo-inflator type device.
I don't think they really streamline you. Rather it's a convenience of not having an octo. I used to sport a Sherwood Gemini, and I've used ScubaPro's Air 2.
I've seen plenty of other types of Air 2's, Air Controls, Air 3's and Safe Seconds.

I think they're heavy in comparison to second stages and inflators put together. As such they'll always drag below you and strapping them down is not an option for safety reasons. If you hug close to the bottom there's a good chance it'll drag in the sand unless you keep your hands over it. That could affect your trim depending on how you usually position yourself when diving.

For me, when I was doing data collection or photography, my Air 2 would always bump into the bottom or on the rocks around me. Not happy with it over all so I switched back to a standard inflator (tied down with a bungee loop) and a Bungeed backup. I've used regular octos and found that securing it with a loop of bungee (home made and hand tied) to be the most effective way of keeping it secure and still allowing easy access. Just grab and yank, the bungee will stretch and you have your octo.
I chose to attach it to the D-ring on my waist strap. If you have the space, attaching it to your left shoulder D-ring will get rid of that 40in hose that "flaps in the wind".

If you decide to get an Air 2 you should make sure your primary hose is at least 32in in length. It'll make OOA shares doable but very cramped.
A 36in hose will be bear minimum to have a comfortable close ascent but I would strongly recommend a 40in hose on an Angle Adapter (NOT A SWIVEL) or even upgrading to a 5ft or 7ft hose if your BC pockets don't get in the way.
With the Mare's icon though, unless you dive without your integrated pockets, you'll have too much bulk in the waist to pull off a 5ft or 7ft hose wrap.

A few people I have talked with was concerned about the reliability of them?

I find that the AIR2 type AAS are a false economy when seeking streamlining.

Because they are more heavy/bulky, they tend to clutter the upper left torso far more than a standard LPI. Also, because you need them for emergency air, you can't just bungee them down neatly against the shoulder strap.

AIR2 also means that you have to donate the primary regulator. This isn't an issue in itself, but it should mean that you require a longer hose on your primary reg. However, putting in a 5-7' primary hose seems to defeat the original purpose of using an AIR2 for streamlining/simplification?!

One step forwards, two steps back....

Here we go again.

A few people I have talked with was concerned about the reliability of them?

Haven't tried your specific model but Air 2's in general are reliable. They inflate your BC faster than normal inflators. Older models used to be tightened down more than a regular octo, meaning your initial breath would be a little heavy. Once the air starts flowing though you're golden, because of the venturi effect. This can always be corrected by an authorized tech. All he has to do is turn a screw to make your initial breath easier. Most newer models of Air 2's have tuned this so that it's not an issue out of the box.

Overall they're safe in the right hands. They take a different method for OOA shares which means you'll need to get the appropriate training. Those who tell you to take the Air 2 out of your mouth to vent are misinformed. There are far better and safer ways to vent when doing an air share.

Back
Top Bottom