Chicagoland Shore Diving Info...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Subject line says it all.........I've heard of the spots but if somebody could refresh my memory, greatly appreciated.

Thnx.

I believe there's only one or two places where they permit diving access. I don't remember where either but I wouldn't expect the diving the be very good most of the time.

The only place within the city itself to shore dive from is North Avenue Beach and no, there is'nt much to see so it makes no sense to me. I think there's a wreck not too far from there but far enough to burn out before ya get there.

These are the only shore dives near the city. I haven't talked to anyone who has actually dove this, but here it is. (taken from http://www.chicagoscuba.com)

Lake Michigan - North Ave. Beach Chess Pavilion
It's a no-thrills, no-frills beach dive. Exit Lake Shore Drive at North Ave. and park. You're there! Register with the lifeguard. Bring your equipment to the entrance by the Chess Pavilion. You enter from a wall, so use a giant stride entry. You can find all kinds of junk, explore the rock bottom and wall. To date items found include coins, jewelry, and a 10 speed bike! Exit is by a ladder set in the concrete wall. About 15 feet deep, with visibility averaging from 3 to 7 feet. Dive flag and float, a buddy, and certification card required. The Chicago Park District requires that you check in with the life guard on duty. There is also a life guard station at Oak Street Beach (294-4651). Note: It is against the law to dive from Chicago shores anywhere except North Ave. Beach, or from a boat.

Evanston Beach
Evanston Illinois - Resting in 10 to 16 feet of water is the Wreck of the George Morley, a wooden shipwreck that burned and sank in the 1800's. Intact below the gunwales, the wreck is just 150 yards off shore and is marked by cans. Ask the beach office for directions to the wreck site. There is also an old PT boat located off Main Street. Suit up at Greenleaf St. Beach.

There is a beach entrance fee. Flag and float, certification card required. Closes at 6:00 pm. The wreck is mostly exposed due to wave and current action.

I also forgot to mention that I remember hearing of a shore clean-up dive in the early summer.

Haigh Quarry and Pearl Lake are great places to go and are close enought to the City for an easy half day trip with two dives.

jreihl once bubbled...
These are the only shore dives near the city. I haven't talked to anyone who has actually dove this, but here it is. (taken from http://www.chicagoscuba.com)

Lake Michigan - North Ave. Beach Chess Pavilion
It's a no-thrills, no-frills beach dive. Exit Lake Shore Drive at North Ave. and park. You're there! Register with the lifeguard. Bring your equipment to the entrance by the Chess Pavilion. You enter from a wall, so use a giant stride entry. You can find all kinds of junk, explore the rock bottom and wall. To date items found include coins, jewelry, and a 10 speed bike! Exit is by a ladder set in the concrete wall. About 15 feet deep, with visibility averaging from 3 to 7 feet. Dive flag and float, a buddy, and certification card required. The Chicago Park District requires that you check in with the life guard on duty. There is also a life guard station at Oak Street Beach (294-4651). Note: It is against the law to dive from Chicago shores anywhere except North Ave. Beach, or from a boat.

Evanston Beach
Evanston Illinois - Resting in 10 to 16 feet of water is the Wreck of the George Morley, a wooden shipwreck that burned and sank in the 1800's. Intact below the gunwales, the wreck is just 150 yards off shore and is marked by cans. Ask the beach office for directions to the wreck site. There is also an old PT boat located off Main Street. Suit up at Greenleaf St. Beach.

There is a beach entrance fee. Flag and float, certification card required. Closes at 6:00 pm. The wreck is mostly exposed due to wave and current action.

Better than nothing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom