Diving in a volcanic ash filled lake. Really

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure hope he was a smoker. After letting his reg drag around in that crap it had to taste kinda nasty. :vomit:

Unless there is some thing valuble to salvage under there, what's the point. He didn't have a dive light, can't see any thing.

I know a farmer that dropped a tool box in a sludge pond over at the pig farm. Think those guys will come over an get it for him? :)

Mmmm, pumice. Yummy!

I dove in Kadavu when the Tonga underwater volcano was erupting. The ocean was covered with 6" of pumice (not as bad as in that video). Backrolls into the water were interesting... The regs get full of pumice bits but it's easily blown out.

The pumice usually sits right on top of the water. It's bizarre when you're getting in and out, and it's terrible on the outboards. It also makes it like a night dive -- take a light.

What's really weird is that after a few days the pumice becomes water logged and some of it goes neutrally buoyant. So you end up diving through a miniature asteroid field, some of them with clams starting to grow on them.

Very fun. :D

Perfect place for a dangling bumbling stumbling reg out of mouth
dumbass to be.

I sure hope he was a smoker. After letting his reg drag around in that crap it had to taste kinda nasty. :vomit:

I am an ex smoker and let me tell you this......I'd be replacing my regs if I dove that lake. TO be more accurate, I'd rent regs for that dive :wink:

g2:
Mmmm, pumice. Yummy!

I dove in Kadavu when the Tonga underwater volcano was erupting. The ocean was covered with 6" of pumice (not as bad as in that video). Backrolls into the water were interesting... The regs get full of pumice bits but it's easily blown out.

The pumice usually sits right on top of the water. It's bizarre when you're getting in and out, and it's terrible on the outboards. It also makes it like a night dive -- take a light.

What's really weird is that after a few days the pumice becomes water logged and some of it goes neutrally buoyant. So you end up diving through a miniature asteroid field, some of them with clams starting to grow on them.

Very fun. :D

So that's pumice and not ash? That doesn't seem so bad. Ash, not so much...

And wearing a snorkel, he must be planning on doing a surface swim. Don't even want to think about that

Wonder where that is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom