Cave Divers and Attitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't mean any disrespect by this, but, I've noticed that a lot of cave divers seem to have a certain negative attitude toward non-divers and toward non-cave divers. I imagine this might be to discourage open-water divers from getting themselves hurt by going into caves or to discourage other people from getting into cave diving as locations can be pretty crowded as it is. It also occured to me that cave diversmay just be a bit egotistical. Can anyone enlighten me as to this aspect of the specialty? Again, no disrespect intended.

It's not meant to be a "negative" attitude. It's tough to communicate experiences to those who haven't been there. I find cave divers to be very friendly and helpful.
Sorry you haven't been able to establish a satisfactory relationship with a cave diver. We can be a little prickly at times. No pun intended.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I know of a single cave diver. He walks around like a simple joe and I never would have guessed he does these intense dive excursions. Then I found out he was a geologist. And on top of that he's mensa. The guy is the most humbe person I've ever met and hes doing things I know I will never do. It amazes me. Cave divers - a breed beyond our understanding. I envy their nerves of steel. :D

To do something well, one must believe in one's own ability to do it well. This is particularly true when dealing with a potentially life-threatening situation. If consumed by fear, a cavediver's focus is not going to be on staying alive in a hostile environment.

Unfortunately this self-confidence doesn't always lend itself to a warm and fuzzy manner. A cavediver's belief that he's doing it the best way possible comes across as arrogance instead. And it's not just in cave-divers you'll see this. A lot of top athletes and businessmen are like that, and all they have to fear is failure, and failure doesn't mean death. So don't begrudge a serious cavediver a little attitude. He's just believing in himself.

John F

I can see what you're saying, John, but, I've met many professional atheletes who were some of the nicest people in the world, and everyone just respects them all the more for that. Let's not make excuses for rude people - if you want to be left alone, all you have to do is say "excuse me, I have to be getting on with my preparations," or what have you. There are way too many people in business who think they can get away with treating people like crap - I think just the opposite should be the norm: people in high places and with great skills should see it as an opportunity to show the rest of us how to behave, not act like children. When we put up with that it's as good as encouraging that type of behavior.

The world is full of jerks! Some of them are cave divers. Many of us cave divers enjoy all aspects of diving, one of them being caving. We'll be happy to talk about it if asked (and talk, and talk, and talk--hope you're really interested). We might also avoid this discussion because we've been called crazy often enough, or because we might not want to arouse the interest of someone whom we believe is not suited to the danger of the sport. In other words, we're just people!

In all areas of life there are insecure folk who join or earn some elite classification so they can feel and act superior to others. Pity these folk rather than hate them.

Happy diving!

theskull once bubbled...
The world is full of jerks! Some of them are cave divers. Many of us cave divers enjoy all aspects of diving, one of them being caving. We'll be happy to talk about it if asked (and talk, and talk, and talk--hope you're really interested). We might also avoid this discussion because we've been called crazy often enough, or because we might not want to arouse the interest of someone whom we believe is not suited to the danger of the sport. In other words, we're just people!

I've done only a little cave diving, but it was under the tutelage of a damned good diver. One main thing I learned is that you have to be prepared, in many different ways, to go into a cave. And part of that is having absolute belief that your preparation and tool selection is impeccable. Now, there are many different solutions suggested to safe diving but each of us has to choose the one that we can believe in. And as important as this choice is to each of us, it's only natural that we will be passionate about our choice. Passion can easily become contention between two with differing solutions and may well be seen by bystanders as offensive. Hard to blame someone for being passionate about their chosen style of staying alive.

Yes, some folks are more easy-going about things but I'll betcha if you really challenge the validity of their chosen dive protocol they'll show some passion too.

John F

Sometimes I may be short answered with folks or be very vague in answeering cuz often I get non-cave divers asking me questions and it sounds more like they are wanting to know the logistics of what I am doing. How many lights do I use, do I use a line, how far is this, stuff like that and I don't want to be giving out info that someone may take and go try it out for themselves without the proper training.

You also got to think about how many people come up to cvae divers and want to to talk or ask them stuff. Its not anything against you, but you may be the 15th person to come up in 1 hour and wanted to talk or ask the same question.

And also I just think that cave divers have a negative image already as far as friendlyness. I'm not saying you are doing this, but many ow divers go up to cavers with a negative attitude cuz they are expecting one in return. Just becuz their may be a couple of negative and rude people doesn't mean we all are.

I think the main issue that we are discussing here is perspective. If you have someone who has just received their Private Pilot's card and they talk with an F-14 pilot, they would both talk about objects in the air but the similarities stop there.

It is very difficult at times (while teaching OW) to remember what it's like to be new. The only way that I can do it is to coach more than teach and offer corrective steps.

It's difficult to tell students that you aren't supposed to go below x depth and you can never get into decompression without proper training. Sometimes this may come off as arrogant.

On the other hand, some people are just pricks.

I do not agree... Some people are just interested in the gear and the depth of the penatration because they do not know. It goes for reg ow diving am i not supposed to tell someone the answer to a question in fear they are going to try and suck air off their black and decker air compressor. Some people are just curious. And what got all the cave divers interested in caving??? was it interest... And another thing the info you might give might end up helping more than hurting. Just my 2 psi

But yes I tend to agree SOME of them have nasty attiudes. They are no better than the next... So they are cave divers whooooooohoooooo. Give me a month and I will be too but less the attiude.... Anyways be safe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom