V weight Cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to try and get more than 6lbs in the tail portion of my tanks. I currently use an xs scuba weight pouch.

I do have an 11lb v weight (Halcyon) and I was wondering if anyone has experience with cutting vweights. Is there a way to cut a vqeight and then install it over the mounting screw so that the weight sits in the tail section of the double tanks? If so what kind of weight can i expect to protude in the tail section.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Tim

Yes, you can get about 8 pounds in it that way (works with virtually all reasonable doubles). I usually pick the end of the V-weight with the hole closest to the end (sometimes they are not equal)

Its a little tight with (my) Faber LP85s as as the bottom bolt is a little short so check your bolts.

We did melt our own lead to make an x shape tail weight. For that my friend cut and welded a form which would hold about 12 lb of an almost v shape weight which we would cut in half. The sides of the v would be round to take the shape of the tank.

Lead is fairly sofy metal so i do not think you want it just hang off the bolt. It can break easily.

I am looking to try and get more than 6lbs in the tail portion of my tanks. I currently use an xs scuba weight pouch.

I do have an 11lb v weight (Halcyon) and I was wondering if anyone has experience with cutting vweights. Is there a way to cut a vqeight and then install it over the mounting screw so that the weight sits in the tail section of the double tanks? If so what kind of weight can i expect to protude in the tail section.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Tim

Silent World Dive Center in Key Largo utilizes a bunch of sawed-off V-weights (Halcyon) in their rental fleet. Check with Chris on the TDS for particulars.

My LDS cut an 11lb halcyon weight into a 7.5lb tailweight for my Faber LP85's. The thicker end was up, the thinner end was cut and the weight was flush with the bottom of my tanks.

Check how the V weight best fits on your bolts to retain the most wt, then draw the cut line flush with the tank bottoms. I know some Halcyon V weights cut to 8lbs, but it depends on bolt hole location.

The cut V weight will drop weight a little lower than your XS Scuba pouch can, which should make a noticeable difference in ballast.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hacksaw will make quick work of it. A file or some sand paper will clean up any rough edges. Lead is easy to work with, just don't breathe the dust. I typically just throw my long hose into my mouth when smelting etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom