molasses deep, today, 6/16, pics,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
nice conditions on molasses northern deep buoy today. dive #1, 1ft seas, light current, blue water, 60 viz@ 55-86FT, 80F, and interminent sunshine. abundant tropicals, nice dive. dive #2, winds increased to 15kts from the north(seas somewhat sloppy), blue water, again light current, viz reduced to 50FT @ 55-82FT and bright sunshine. as soon as i backrolled in the water, i was surrounded by a large school of dolphinfish(mahi). 1st time in 25 or so years of diving deep molasses that ive observed that and in only 55FT of water! of course by the time tim(with the camera) entered the water they were long gone. super dive with one turtle, a large school of yellow jacks and lots of angles and butterfly fish. oddly enough, no eagle rays,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• _DSC4739.jpg
    _DSC4739.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 67
  • _DSC4794.jpg
    _DSC4794.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC4642.jpg
    _DSC4642.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 58
  • _DSC4592.jpg
    _DSC4592.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 65
  • _DSC4603.jpg
    _DSC4603.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC4891.jpg
    _DSC4891.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 67
  • _DSC4822.jpg
    _DSC4822.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 62
  • _DSC4729.jpg
    _DSC4729.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 71
  • _DSC4662.jpg
    _DSC4662.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 61
  • _DSC4687.jpg
    _DSC4687.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 59
  • _DSC4749.jpg
    _DSC4749.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 63
  • _DSC4624.jpg
    _DSC4624.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 58
Awesome pics, it has been a while since I've gone to Molasses, but always a great time diving there. What camera was used for those pics?

Hi Cuban,

Thank you for the kind comment.

I use a Nikon D300 in a Seacam housing with Ikelite 160 strobes.

Tim

We went out late yesterday and the seas started kickin up, easily 2 and better

We went out late yesterday and the seas started kickin up, easily 2 and better

surprised us during our surface interval, 15kts @ MLRF @ 1300Z yesterday(seas were 2-3FT)and the marine forecast called for winds variable 5-10kt in the afternoon. go figure! should be out there today,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
suprised us during our surface interval, 15kts @ MLRF @ 1300Z yesterday(seas were 2-3FT)and the marine forecast called for winds variable 5-10kt in the afternoon. go figure! should be out there today,,,,,,,,,

reefman

key largo

I picked yesterday over today and made a mistake.

I think you guys should adopt me.

Kevin

nice conditions on molasses northern deep buoy today. dive #1, 1ft seas, light current, blue water, 60 viz@ 55-86FT, 80F, and interminent sunshine. abundant tropicals, nice dive. dive #2, winds increased to 15kts from the north(seas somewhat sloppy), blue water, again light current, viz reduced to 50FT @ 55-82FT and bright sunshine. as soon as i backrolled in the water, i was surrounded by a large school of dolphinfish(mahi). 1st time in 25 or so years of diving deep molasses that ive observed that and in only 55FT of water! of course by the time tim(with the camera) entered the water they were long gone. super dive with one turtle, a large school of yellow jacks and lots of angles and butterfly fish. oddly enough, no eagle rays,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Dang! Fair enough. :depressed:

OK, I'd settle for learning a bit about options for renting a boat in the middle keys and finding shallow dive sites for long bottom times with my camera - *and* what sort of problems I need to consider prior to committing to trying something like that.

For example, is current often an issue at those shallow (twenty feet-ish) reefs?

Any restrictions on anchoring?

How about even *finding* these sites - are they generally known? I've never used any technology to find GPS coordinates on the water. Do rental boats come with such devices? Might one simply wander around in the area and spot patch reefs from the surface?

The little info that I've found to date suggests that hardly any boats frequent these sites. Have you guys looked into them? One of my clearest memories of my first trip to the *upper* keys in the late '80's is that it was difficult to find the right boat to get back on. :D

Do you keep your boat trailered or at a marina? Can you tell I'm exceedingly jealous of you guys down yonder?

Alternatively, maybe there's some divers down in the Middle Keys who would love to have an incredibly entertaining individual on their private boat who would be happy to share his (limited) underwater photo knowledge and his spare Digital Rebel and housing with them, and who don't mind diving shallow sites all day long. :D

Kevin
Savannah

sorry, kevin, wrong gender!!!!!!!!!!!

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom