My Murky Paradise

'Sup with that quarry?

• F that quarry. It's just a place to practice when you can tolerate it.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Rock quarry rocks! Just because Cousteau never did a special on Bluegills doesn't make them less sp

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another thread got me to thinking, what other mutts out there actually enjoy diving in the quarry. I'm not talking about "as compared to not diving," I mean actually dig flippering around the old swimming hole just becuase it fun.

Something I often hear uttered around my local quarry is "If you can dive here, you can dive anywhere." I sincerely doubt the credence of that, considering the quarry has neither currents nor waves nor any other real challenge other than darkness and cold, but I understand the sentiment to mean "this place sucks, and if you can dig it here then you'll really love it at a real dive site."

But I want to see the representation of folks who consider the quarry a real dive site in and of itself. Am I alone? Or is this just newbie enthusiasm that will be gone by next season?

Personally... I just like being underwater..
Tropical paradise.. or the local lake/quarry, really doesn't matter to me.

Just dive!

..."never tried it"

I tend to think I'd take Tekk Diver's perspective, but I can't say yet, never tried quarry diving. Pool and Ocean only...

Ian

30 to 50 feet of vis! Cool blue water! Really, I mean it. It's kind of a big funnel shape, so the rock formations are really cool. Why not? Never gotten blown out either.

-Frank =-)

Hmm, there's a little quarry 12 km from where I live. I have yet to check it out. Most of the "real" divers I've talked to shrug it off as a local destination for the desperate. (Kind of a, "if you really gotta get wet.....")

Personally I have this one wreck nearby where I live that I have been to waaaaaaaay too many times. I could almost draw every beam of it out, now. (Most recent was today - I probably spent more time playing with the thermocline than viewing the wreck)

I would have to vote:
"ANY time spent in the water is HAPPY time!"

I've never dived in a quarry either. It's either been a pool or the ocean for me.

Yes! Any dive is a good dive. Any dive that you come back from is a great dive! I like the quarry....cold.....dark....limited vis. Very Zen. Blue water freaks me out! Look how far you can see! Look at all the divers! Look at the boat. Look up. Look down. Look at the coral. Look at all the fish. Look at your depth? You can't possibly be THAT deep. Look. Look. Look. Look. The quarry is just you in your own little bubble of vis and the tips of your buddy's fins if he's in front or that disembodied head floating behind. Look at your compass. Look at SPG. Look at your computer. Look out for that wall! Yes, my favorite quarry adventure was swimming off of beach one to the platform in vis so bad I could barely make out my compass in front of my face. There must have been a hundred classes that day stirring up the bottom. I swam head first into a very large rock! No one ever mentioned braille as a navigation tool. I now understand the cry"The quarry rocks!" in a much different way. I add my voice to those who cry"The quarry rocks!" I'm just not sure we all mean the same thing!?!?

My group has access to a Quarry in Connecticut. Poor vis and cold are the norm.

Still, its amazingly peaceful. Its also interesting. You never know precisely what you'll find down there.

I enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom