BCD Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brooksieboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been changing things constantly as a new diver on how I arrange everything on my BCD and how to attach/not attach my guage (I just a basic Suunto guage for depth and air).

Anyone fancy sharing a photo of them with full setup to show octo etc location? It is for basic recreational diving with a jacket style BCD if possible!

Thanks!

I don't have a picture because I actually use an air integrated computer and air 2 to eliminate as many hoses as possible. However, most people I see have their Octo attached on the right side, about stomach level. The gauge is about the same, but on the left. A lot of people seem to use a cord of some sort and attach these to the clips or rings that sit on the shoulders of the BCD and hang down. Mostly to prevent them from dragging behind or on the ground. Also helps to know exactly where they are when you need them.

Another setup I have seen that I thought was interesting. He had a bungie cord around his neck and the Octo held just under the chin, so he only had to move his head to get to his alternate. I believe tech divers do this often. Another had his gauge attached to his left forearm with a bungie, so he always knew where it was and it would not drag. He could just lift his arm to check his depth, air, etc.

I think it is just personal preference. Decide what keeps your gear close to you and not dangling, while making it easy to get to what you need. If you can get to it in a panic, you're ok. :)

The reg should be clipped to the bottom left ring of your BCD. The octopus to the right bottom clip attached to an "octopus" holder. "facing in a down position, to prevent from free flow" Flash lights, knives etc. attach to where you feel comfortable and within an easy and quick access range. view some photos on facebook under scubadiveilat. Have fun and dive frequently.....

I'm going to go ahead and bump this up. I'm curious to see some pics :D

No pic but my octopus hose runs under my right arm and straight into a little pocket on the right shoulder strap of my BC, so the reg sits just below the pocket on the right side of my chest, and the hose is nice and streamlined. My SPG runs around on the left and is tucked behind my waist clip, with the guage pointing up, so just have to look down to see it. I replaced my original SPG/depth combo with just an SPG, so smaller to be more streamlined, as depth is on computer anyway.

3/16" Bungee loop or snorkel keeper, looped around a D-ring allowing for the octo mouthpiece to slip through. As long as you slip the zip tie notch through it won't come out until you want it to. And even then it's very easy because the bungee/silicone can stretch under human force but not current.

Depending on my BC, I've attached it to a shoulder D-ring, D-ring on the shoulder strap, or waist strap D-ring. Excess hose can be tucked in your cumberbun.
I wouldn't recommend using the Waist D-rings, as it's hard to grab from there as a donor.

Usually I use a hand on my chest, then sweep down to catch the hose of my octo. I can then quickly grab and deploy it all without looking. On the waist D-ring this isn't as easy to do, which is why I've never attache it there.
Sorry, don't have pictures as I don't own an octo set up. I only use it when I'm teaching pool sessions/demoing skills.

The reg should be clipped to the bottom left ring of your BCD. The octopus to the right bottom clip attached to an "octopus" holder...
Was "reg" a typo and you meant SPG?

---------- Post Merged at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:56 PM ----------

The reg should be clipped to the bottom left ring of your BCD...
Was "reg" a typo and you meant SPG?

I run a long hose primary, which is the one I would donate if needed, and a short hosed secondary bungeed around my neck. I run a BP/W, have the gauge clipped off to my left D ring, backup lights on each left and right chest D ring, and a pocket will a spare mask and such on the right side of my waist strap webbing. I carry a simple steak knife at 11 o'clock on my waist and my pocket has shears mounted to it.

IMG_3445.jpg

Not a great picture, but it's all I have access to right now, the pocket isn't mounted in the photo.

I run a long hose primary, which is the one I would donate if needed, and a short hosed secondary bungeed around my neck. I run a BP/W, have the gauge clipped off to my left D ring, backup lights on each left and right chest D ring, and a pocket will a spare mask and such on the right side of my waist strap webbing. I carry a simple steak knife at 11 o'clock on my waist and my pocket has shears mounted to it.

Not a great picture, but it's all I have access to right now, the pocket isn't mounted in the photo.

+1 for this setup... I'm not DIR trained, but this really makes a lot of sense.

You don't need to have a BP/W either to set up your gear this way, and I was surprised how easy it was to deal with the long hose. Donating the primary also makes more sense in an emergency, and you can't lose the octo if it's bungeed under your chin.

Usually when I see an octo clipped onto a BC it's either too easy to dislodge or too hard to deploy (depending on which attachment gadget you use). Also, it's much less streamlined and more prone to entanglement than the bungee necklace solution.

Seriously, consider this. It's often thought of as more of a "tech" style configuration, and some OW instructors might not prefer it, but there is absolutely no reason why any diver of any level couldn't rig their BC like this. The SPG clipped to the left hip D-ring also works well, is streamlined and easy to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom