Right sided tank valve, left sided tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking into side mount and am wondering how important, if at all, it is to have "mirror image" tank valves. :idk:

It depends. If you're planning on going into small spaces, you need to be able to access the valves and do shut downs easily. You can point the 1st stages opposite directions, but that may not be ideal and can cause the cylinders to sit different because of the valve position. Valves are not that expensive. Get the right ones for the job.

Expensive is a relative term. I already have 2 "handle on the left when facing the tank" valves. A "handle on the right" valve is a "modular" valve and the cheapest I can find (300BAR DIN) is $90. If it really doesn't make much of a difference, then that is a lot of $$$. I'm not headed into cave diving or wreck penetration, so not anticipating tight squeezes - more interested in the redundant 1st stages and longer bottom times without the trouble of carrying both tanks at the same time.

Last edited:
I just ordered some left-sided valves from Northeast Scuba Supply for $40 apiece ... they're advertised as CCR valves, but they're just your basic 200 DIN modular valves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

only thing I don't like about those is how irritating it is to carry them.... I have mine from a manifolded set so they have the extensions on the opposite side which makes carrying them a lot easier.
If I had any 3/4 tanks I was going to try the T Handle valves
Valves - Single Valves - Rebreather Side Valve - Black Handwheel - Northeast Scuba Supply
as they look like it might work quite well for sidemount

You can buy a complete modular manifold for around $180 so the tanks can be used as singles or as a twin set.

Last edited:
Those are all 200 BAR. The cheapest 300 BAR that I can find are $90, but we're getting away from my original question. How important is it to have "mirror image" valves?

Cave Adventurers has 300 bar for $59 with free shipping.

As I stated earlier, it could cause issues with the positioning of the cylinders. It also depends on what bungee system you are using to trim out your cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom