Help with planing a Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm a college student who is looking to get my feet wet in water clearer than Myrtle Beach, SC has. I'm getting my Advanced certification in the next 3 weeks and can't wait to see some new stuff.

With that said me and the girlfriend recently broke up and with 2 jobs I have a good amount saved and a nice vacation would do me good.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the keys. So how do I go about planning a short trip? Sure I can figure out Expedia or other sites like that to get a plane or other means of travel down there, but in what region is best to stay? What are some good dive companies down there that would charter me out to some good dive spots?

I guess what I'm asking is in what town/island should I stay, who is good for chartering divers out to dive spots, and what are some good dive locations?

Thanks Guys!

If your are flying, you have the choice of either Miami International or Fort Lauderdale. Miami is closer but Fort Lauderdale is not much further. Go to the location that offers the best airfare. Key Largo is good place to start. My experience is the further you travel south the more expensive it tends to get and the choices for eating are reduced. There are several Dive Ops that offer package deals with adjacent hotels. The ones that come to mind are Ocean Divers, Horizon Divers, and Sea Dwellers. There are many more in the same marina (about mile marker 100), and partner with the same three hotels- Marina Del Mar, Holiday Inn and Mariott. They each have websites and probably all offer competetive pricing. They all offer two-tanks dives in the AM and the PM. Occasionally, they will advertise a night dive. Plan on renting a car. If your driving be aware that if you are going to travel to your destination using a toll road you will have to get a Sun Pass . I paid a one-time fee of $29.00 through the rental car; it covers all your tolls. I believe if you are out-of-state, they send you a bill and processing fee. I have dived with Horizon on two separate vacation and would recomend them. Good luck

My first diving visit to the keys was last month. Dive buddy and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo - was very close to multiple dive shops and a large Diver's Direct store if you're in the mind to shop for some new toys...I mean dive gear.

You'll probably want to research several shops - see who's going to dive locations you might be interested in (wrecks, reefs, etc.). Some ops put a dive guide in the water on every dive. There's a sticky thread with a lot of information about the keys (dive ops, lodging, etc.) (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html)

We dove with two different shops - Scuba-Do and Conch Republic. Enjoyed and would reccomend them both. We dove several reefs, including Molasses, and Benwood wreck, which is a fairly shallow wreck. I completed my OW cert during the trip so we didn't even consider the deeper wrecks like the Duane or Spiegel Grove.

Whatever you decided I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom