too many hobbies (is there a minimum 'must have' gear purchase?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topcover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been spending most of my time and "hobby energy" wingsuiting over the past few years, but have always managed to get in 10-20 dives over the course of the year (normally when on vacation to somewhere warm)

Lately I've been thinking of spending more energy on scuba and was thinking about purchasing some gear.

I've already got too many hobbies and gear associated with those hobbies
skydiving
kitesurfing
snowboarding
dirtbiking
motorbike racing
downhill mountainbiking
ipsc
etc
etc

but was wondering if there is a minimum gear choice that you would make to have some gear that is your own and not rely on rental.

is it worth getting a few things, or unless your going to get everything dont bother?

I currently travel with my mask and fins when me and the wife are on vacation and was thinking about adding a reg, or reg and bcd.

wondering if any of you have done a minimum gear purchase for holiday diving and either recommend it or regret it?

I live in a place with some amazing cold water diving but am not in a position to go full in for cold water diving (drysuit etc) so I'm hoping anything I get could double in cold water and just rent the added pieces that I need.

most of the use would be for warm water vacation dives.

cheers

wingsuit_pic.jpg

For me, besides mask/fin/snorkels, the first core piece of gear I picked out was my BCD. People have different tastes and seems there is no real one style fits all.

I've already got too many hobbies and gear associated with those hobbies
skydiving
kitesurfing
snowboarding
dirtbiking
motorbike racing
downhill mountainbiking
ipsc
etc
etc

but was wondering if there is a minimum gear choice that you would make to have some gear that is your own and not rely on rental.

Forget about gear. What I want to know is how do I get your job???

I guess you need the basic stuff plus anything else for safety depending on where you dive.

I added gear slowly as I could afford it / found it on craigslist. Mask, and maybe fins, would be my only necessities beyond thermal protection.

My list of activities looks very similar to yours except add 3 gun and not so much IPSC any more and I don't like things that I have to peddle. But I came down to my minimum gear list of everything, but tanks and weights, because like you most of my dives start with a plane trip. Although since I have gotten my gear that is changing rather quickly. Just like I don't like to jump borrowed gear, I don't like to dive in rentals any more.

One of my team
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...53361348_100000194148009_847981_4643416_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would be reasonable to start with things that really have to fit to work. That includes mask, fins and exposure protection. Once you have that, I'd probably go for a BC, so you can get one that really cinches down around you and holds the tank steady. Since regulators are pretty generic as far as fit goes, I'd do that last -- although some will argue that regulators are life support equipment, and you shouldn't trust rentals. I figure nobody can afford a death or a lawsuit, so it's likely that any dive operators in a "normal" kind of place will take reasonable care of their gear.

(Of course, I own my own gear -- several sets of it -- and rent nothing, so it's easy for me to say that!)

I would buy a wrist mount computer first. Everything else is easy to rent, but it's nice knowing how your computer works. For example, just in case you accidentally went in to deco, your computer will tell you where to make the necessary stops... if you know how to read it :)

Mask, Fins, then Exposure. Nothing worse then wearing a wetsuit that is all stretched out, or doesn't quite fit, or smells like the last 20 people just had to pee in their suit.

I understand the thought that "no one wants a lawsuit" and diving in the states, or high end resorts that may be the case. However some of the best diving is only through a dodgy little shop on the beach or some of the less high class caribbean islands. I personally love these places but I have seen regs dragged through the sand, gone for swims with no dust caps, piled into big heaps where mold grows in the hoses and so much worse. I really don't trust a reg unless I take care of it.

A computer is also not a bad choice if you didn't want to get a reg and take care of it and all. Its easy to bring along if you get a wristwatch, you never have to worry about renting one, or not having one, or not having a clue how to use one. Or if you do get a reg you could get an integrated computer and then you solve both problems.

Back
Top Bottom