Key Largo kid instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebob50

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone!
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I live in CA, but visit the Keys at least once a year, so I am quite familiar with them. What can I say, I love them!

My 10 year old is ready for his Junior Open Water. Very exciting stuff! He's doing the classroom and pool here, then a referral in Key Largo in August. I'm instructor certified, but haven't taught in a while. I've been working with him and he's ready. No dad forcing him to do it or anything like that.

I'm looking for an operator in Key Largo who can handle a 10 year old. Patience, proper fitting gear, etc. I want this to be a fun experience, which is why he's doing it in Key largo and not CA! Too rough and too cold here.

I've been reading the board, but I can't seem to find help, so I thought I'd just ask. Many of the operators have good reviews, but its frustrating because that makes it too many to pick from, so i end up just reading more and not picking any!
Of course maybe now 10 people will recommend 10 different operators and I'll be right back where I started.

So if any of you could help me narrow my choices down, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Try Key Largo Scuba Shack ... they have smalll boats with instructor/DM in the water on all dives.
Will be leaving in the morning to dive with them...They have been great so far...Thinking small will be good for you guys..

Congratulations on your 10 year old getting his JOW soon. I hope he has a great time. I am bringing my 15 year old granddaughter to Key Largo from Colorado for her OW certification the first week of August. Same as you, we are doing the class and pool work at home and the certification dives in warm water.

I have been working with a client in the Miami area the last couple of months. One of the trips I stayed over an extra day and drove down to Key Largo to check out some of the shops to see who I thought would be good to trust with my granddaughters certification dives. Like you said, there are so many dive shops in Key Largo area it is hard to figure out who to go with. I read a lot of posts here and narrowed the list down to the ones I would have time to visit.

The place we have decided to use is Conch Republic. During my time visiting with Capt Gary, he struck me as being very family oriented and very kid friendly. If you would like more details on what I observed during my dive shop visits and why I chose this particular operation, send me a PM and I will respond.

Good luck to you and your son. I hope he really enjoys his time diving and more importantly that he enjoys this time you are spending with him.

Mike

We just got back from diving with Key Largo Scuba Shack...They were great and Luke is an excellant DM/instructor.
My sons gf had just gotten certified and he helped her with her AOW,,,great experience....small and we have now found our home for diving in Key Largo....

Remember to visit the history of diving museum during your off gassing time. It's a cool little museum

There are quite a few good operators in Key Largo. Key Largo is an excellent place for a young and new diver to learn. Many of the dives are 30' to the bottom, warm water, little or no current, decent corals and quite a bit of sea life.

I have used Quiessence which runs 6 paks. I do not know if they would complete the training for your 10 year old. There are a number of operators in Key Largo who run the small boats. I think a small boat would be better because with fewer divers in the water, things would be less chaotic for your youngster.

Used Rainbow Reef to certify my 11 yr old daughter last October. They're a good group and do well with kids.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom