Reg Service Turnaround Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's tough to be without my equipment... and just thinking about it makes me wonder...

How long does your LDS take to service your regs? Regularly, yearly service, under warranty?

Does it take longer if you didn't buy your regs at that shop?

When I went in thinking turnaround would be a few months, talked the to tech and said at the latest it would be 2 weeks, but most likely would have it back to me in 1 week. i think turn around time depends on the time of year. I think as you approach 'dive season' the turn around gets longer as more people bring theirs in for the upcoming season.

My LDS in the Santa Cruz Area took around 4 weeks, both for a used second stage service/inspection and a full reg setup annual service (2 separate events). The tech however makes his own schedule, so I don't know it that had anything to do with it.

Edit
Whether your tech has a full stock of replacement parts on hand will affect turnaround time. I think mine had to order parts and service kits.

Weeks to get a reg serviced? Eek!

Assuming that non-stocked parts do not need replacement, a competent reg tech should be able to perform a standard overhaul in only a couple of hours.

One of my local shops has a convenient reg servicing reservation system. A diver signs up for an available slot 1-4 weeks in advance. On the day prior to the servicing appointment, the diver drops off his reg. The shop calls the diver the next day when servicing is completed. Thus, the reg is out of the owner's hands for less than 24 hours.

It would be pretty bad if a shop quoted a longer turnaround time simply because you purchased the reg somewhere else. That would be reason enough for me not use that shop for servicing.

It's pretty ridiculous to have to give up one's regs for weeks just for simple servicing.
Heck, send the regs off to Scubatoys.com. The guys there charge a reasonable rate, and you'll have your regs back in a week or less.

Just curious, Kryssa. What reg brand do you own? Scubapro?

At My dive center we ask for two weeks because we are really swamped at certain times of the year and in the unlikely event that we need a part we dont have we can usually get it in that time frame. Once we start, it takes us about two hours for most regs we work on because of thoroughness... rushing it can cause us to miss something. We can get them back to you sooner if you let us know ahead of time. We also can give you a free rental loaner if you are truly pressed for time, that sometimes happens when people bring them on a Friday with "something wrong" and they are diving on Saturday.

I just had a second stage I bought used overhauled in a day. A couple months ago, I had my entire regulator (first stage and both second stages) serviced (not overhauled) in a couple days. I don't think it should take very long as long as the parts are in stock.

When I had my shop I tried to make the turn around time one week or less. If a customer needed his regulator in less time I would work on it myself to get it back to him in time as long as it was a brand I carried. For brands I did not carry, I had a technician that worked on most brands and had access to parts who came into my shop one day a week. Of course, if we ran into a problem that required ordering a part that was not normally one that was replaced in a normal annual service, it might take longer. In a pinch, I would lend a rental regulator to a customer if they needed it.

Aeris 1st & 2nd stage, Oceanic octo. (Same company, I know :p )
If I were you, I would consider getting the regs serviced at Scubatoys.com. They'll do a typical reg setup (one 1st stage + two 2nd stages) for $49.95. If you don't qualify for "free" overhaul parts, the cost of parts will typically range from $10-$30. Their turnaround time is very reasonable...and, most importantly, they do a good job. If your Scubatoys order exceeds $50, then the serviced regs will be shipped for free back to you. That's pretty difficult to beat.

Enjoy your freshly-serviced regs (when you get them back)...

I takes me about an hour to an hour and a half per stage to do my own regs without sophisticated tools and paying close attention to detail. I usually do it at night during weekdays after my 2 yr old has gone to sleep. I do one stage at a time to test them one at a time at different depths. So I end up taking about a month or more to do all my regs. Just like with everything else in scuba, rushing is not a good idea.

Sometimes I'll even ask for air share drills and tell my buddy before hand to check out breathability of the newly serviced regs (I'm the one in the yellow tanks):
[fv]10150131067851341[/fv]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom