Is it hard to retrieve items stored MC pack - BP pouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a place to store a small smb on a bp/w.
Is it difficult to retrieve a smb stuffed into a MC pack on a backplate?
Halcyon and Oxycheq sell them. I like to know the pros and cons of storing small items into those packs.

I appreciate any comments. Thanks!

I was taught to accordion-fold the SMB before placing it in the MC storage pac (vs. rolling it) then it comes out very easy once you get it started. I did have to practice getting it out a few times before I got the hang of it, but once I did, I haven't had any problems with it coming out when I don't want it to, or with getting it out, when I *do* want to, using the accordion-folding.

I am a cheap bastard. I drilled a few holes in my BP and threaded some small bungy cord though. One one size I have my SMB, the other side a snorkel. It is relatively easy to deploy either, but impossible to re-stow in the water.

I don't know about Oxycheq, but the Halcyon is an open pocket that faces down. Storing small items does not seem feasible, both for the design and placement of the pocket. They designed it for a SMB or their one man raft. I'm not sure what size that raft is, but my SMB from Custom Divers "Seeker" just fits. The clip for it is placed on my hip D-ring. I have yet to practice pulling it out in the water so I can't comment on it's difficulty. I only plan to use it at the surface in an emergency - your not putting it back in while in the water either - it has to be folded just right to allow deployment. Also, I had to get the one without the pad as it allowed more room for this large SMB. The padded one would work for smaller SMB's.

Is it difficult to retrieve a smb stuffed into a MC pack on a backplate?

Speaking specifically about the Halcyon MC pack, my short answer would be No - but it can require two hands and a bit of wriggling to get a rolled 6' SMB out. I can't say I've tried the 'accordion method' but instinctively I don't like it - I'd prefer it to come out neatly rolled up

I also have an OMS pad which has a pocket in it, but I can't even get my Buddy SMB in it, let alone out - it's very small/tight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom