Placement/Position of tank valves & 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How do you have your tank handles setup in the dive position.

Handles facing out with 1st stage on bottom??
Handles facing out with 1st stage on top??
Handles facing down with 1st stage facing inside.
Handles facing up?

What Bungee system do you use? Ring? DR? Old school?

I do understand the a Diaphram regs vs a Piston changes house routing. I am just wanting to get different ideas. I have a Hollis SMS 100 and have the Old school kit on it.

How do you have your tank handles setup in the dive position.

Handles facing up?

I do understand the a Diaphram regs vs a Piston changes house routing. I am just wanting to get different ideas. I have a Hollis SMS 100 and have the Old school kit on it.

knobs facing outward with 1st stage facing toward me. My bungees are I assume old school,whatever that is,but prefer the method used since the beginning which is looped bungee.

Same as karstdvr. Knobs out, 1st stage up toward me. Looped bungees. I don't think my bungees are quite "old school" though. I route them a little differently.

FWIW, I've tried various setups and various positions and have chosen my current setup because it's what works best for my diving. That doesn't mean it will work for anyone else, though.

Handles facing up?
Like Dive-aholic, I have tried all four configurations. What I have come to prefer is the first option you listed - handles facing out, with 1st stage on bottom / facing away from me, when in the horizontal position.
Could you explain what you mean by 'old school'? I use bungees equivalent in design to the DR bungees (not the ring bungees), but custom made to fit me, with a bolt snap on one end and a quick link on the other.

Could you explain what you mean by 'old school'? I use bungees equivalent in design to the DR bungees (not the ring bungees), but custom made to fit me, with a bolt snap on one end and a quick link on the other.

That's not old school.

"Old School" is the loop bungee that comes off a piece of webbing. It starts and ends at the same point with a big loop in the middle that you wrap around your tank handle knob...

That's not old school.
LOL. That much I figured.

I should have separated the two parts of my comment - the first part asking the question, and the second part answering the OP's question about what others do - with a paragraph break.
LakeCountyDiver:
"Old School" is the loop bungee that comes off a piece of webbing. It starts and ends at the same point with a big loop in the middle that you wrap around your tank handle knob...
Gotcha. I know what you are referring to.

Real old school is a continuous loop of bicycle innertube

Right On... I just refer it to that because that is what I here from other SMers. Also Edd at Caveadventures calls it the "Old School kit".... It's funny the ring bungee will be old school in 10 years with the way sidemount is hitting the market.

Same as karstdvr. Knobs out, 1st stage up toward me.

For those of you who prefer this arrangement, is the bolt snap placed in line with the opening of the valve or off a little to one side or the other?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom