Sting help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hope I can find a little advice. I dove with my camera which was a must to get close to the coral 6 days latter I have bumps all over me. they swell and bust. Is it possible for coral to sting this bad. If it is what do you use to treat it??????

Might want to follow up with your doctor as well... things bursting are rarely a good thing... might be nothing, might be something, let the dude or dudette with the training make the call

Michael

Deepdiver1, I hope the stings get better soon. You should be aware though, that the vast majority of coral damage from diving is caused by both novice divers and photographers. Coral can be damaged very easily so please make sure that you do not cause damage when you are trying to get that perfect shot. Make sure you are perfectly neutrally buoyant and use your breath for those fine adjustments by taking shallower breaths and making sure to stay off the corals. There should never be a shot where you have to grab onto a piece of coral to steady your shot. A pretty picture is not worth killing a coral that has taken many years to grow. I certainly don't mean to criticize, just want to make sure people are aware.

Carey

White vinegar only neutralizes the nematocysts (coral stingers) venom, preventing them from firing more venom into you. I doubt it would help you now. You have probably showered which would have activated all the stingers that were on you.

See a doctor and I'm sure you'll be prescribed an ointment.

For future reference:
Once you get stung you should notice it. The only solution then is to treat with white vinegar to stop unfired stingers from firing, and then either take a towel or sand and rub if on you to remove any stingers that are still on your skin. Nematocysts can lay dormant on your skin and not fire till much later. I don't know what stimulates them to fire later on, besides fresh water.

Washing yourself in fresh water will cause the nematocysts to fire, so if they're on your skin you'll feel it. I would advise to wash all your neoprene in fresh water after you exit and before you take any of it off. Make sure none of the fresh water gets on your skin, this will fire all the nematocyst stingers and prevent them from rubbing off and sticking to your skin in the future. As for your exposed skin you can wipe yourself with a towel to scratch off any remaining stingers. A little white vinegar will increase your chances that none fire when you're rubbing, but for me personally I've never used it. Be sure to keep any vinegar away from your eyes.

Of course nothing beats prevention in the first place. Don't touch the coral and don't poke the jellyfish.

Source
Lifeguard training for jellyfish stings (Jelly fish also sting with nematocysts)

And by the way, pee usually has more freshwater than urea, so don't pee on your stings :wink:

Hydrocortizone ointment, repeat often

Agree with the above - vinegar won't help now it will just hurt if you apply it to open sores.

Hydrocortizone will take the burn away but if you are experiencing swelling and bursting you need to seek professional medical assistance. Coral stings can turn pretty nasty and may require treatment. "6 days later with bumps swelling and busting" sounds to me like something the doctor needs to see.

Possibly somebody can move this into the medical forum also?

Cheers

C.

After so many days of no treatment or care. Your option is to seek medical attention. Corals can be very painful and dangerous. They're are venomous, burning and irritating corals. Keep distance at all time. To prevent to minimum use rash guards or or some wetsuit to cover exposed skin.

So where did this happen anyway? Cozumel waters are infamous for floating stingers, not really bad but enough to be bothersome.

I am curious about your claim of "bumps all over me" - seriously? A coral, hydroid or other sting should be localized to the area brushed. You weren't diving nude were you? What were you wearing and where are the bumps exactly?

Back
Top Bottom