Question on Hooka Style air hose systems.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I am a Mermaid and underwater performer. I recently have been getting more and more into it and want to take things a step further. I usually perform in pools but recently have been asked to perform at aquariums. I really would love to be able to stay underwater the whole time rather than coming up for air so I am looking into air hose systems like weekiwachee.com uses. Basically they use a hookah style systems but instead of a regulator, they have an attachment at the end of the hose with a sliding button that controls the amount of air released that they breathe from once every 30 seconds or so. My first question is does that attachment have a name? Because all I can find information on is the regulator.

Also, these systems are so expensive, why? Will my regular airbrush compressor that pushes out up to 40 psi work? It is an electric oil-less system that is built into it and therefore does not need oiling. The hoses are expensive too, what type of alternative hardware store hoses could I use instead?

Keep in mind that I will not be diving far or be far from the surface of the water. The most depth I will be is 20 at most, ever, and I can freedive that depth, but for the most part it will be about 10 feet deep.

Any information would be helpful! Please feel free to input your ides and tips =)

-Sasha

You need to get BA class hose that means breathing air. The reason being the chemicals that make up regular air hose may have harmful chemicals in them. You can get BA hoses from most hydrolic company's or online from Keane Engineering in California. Or E-bay under Hookah hoses.

How long are your performances?

As an alternative, could you not just use a tank with a long hose on it?

I could actually use a tank. My problem is finding that attachment to breathe from. Anyone know what it is called?

It is kinda like that but it has a sliding button and depending on how far you slide the button it lets out different amounts of air. When the button is not engaged, no air is released.

Well first off there are companies that already do this. If you can look them up I'm sure they'll give you more info than what we divers can provide you with. (that is if they give you the time of day)

There are some safety hazards you'll need to know of. Breathing air at depth is dangerous. You can do serious damage to your lungs if you're not careful. If you breath compressed air at depth then ascend, the air in your lungs will expand. In as little as 4ft of water you can breath in enough air to burst your lungs if you were to hold your breath and swim to the surface.
I'm sure the mermaids who perform using hooka systems are well trained to avoid these hazards.

Another thing to note. Like some have already said, you'll want to get dedicated hooka systems and hoses to breath off of. There's nothing worse than getting a lung infection due to bad air from contaminated or not-for-human consumption grade equipment.

Here's one such park that does mermaid shows on hooka. I'm sure there's plenty others in Vegas and Florida etc. I wish you luck.
Mermaid Shows

Well first off there are companies that already do this. If you can look them up I'm sure they'll give you more info than what we divers can provide you with. (that is if they give you the time of day)

There are some safety hazards you'll need to know of. Breathing air at depth is dangerous. You can do serious damage to your lungs if you're not careful. If you breath compressed air at depth then ascend, the air in your lungs will expand. In as little as 4ft of water you can breath in enough air to burst your lungs if you were to hold your breath and swim to the surface.
I'm sure the mermaids who perform using hooka systems are well trained to avoid these hazards.

Another thing to note. Like some have already said, you'll want to get dedicated hooka systems and hoses to breath off of. There's nothing worse than getting a lung infection due to bad air from contaminated or not-for-human consumption grade equipment.

Here's one such park that does mermaid shows on hooka. I'm sure there's plenty others in Vegas and Florida etc. I wish you luck.
Mermaid Shows

Yes I am talking about the Weeki Wachee style air hoses. The one you showed me ad a biting valve whereas weeki wachee has a sliding valve style and is the style I need.

I am very well informed about breathing at depth and ascending. To avoid any possible problems while ascending you need to be breathing out am I correct?

I cannot find these companies that make these style systems like the mermaids use. I just would like to know what it is called that the mermaids use to breathe from.

Keep in mind that I will not be diving far or be far from the surface of the water. The most depth I will be is 20 at most, ever, and I can freedive that depth, but for the most part it will be about 10 feet deep.

Any information would be helpful! Please feel free to input your ides and tips =)

-Sasha
If you are breathing compressed air at depth, you need a little scuba training. With a one-day Discover Scuba class (or similar) you'll be better than 90% of the divers out there, but you do need a little training to be safe.

Knowone has a good idea, I think, with his suggestion to look at the air buddy--this might be its ideal application. It's an extremely low-profile nozzle that you bite on to get air. Is there a place to conceal a small tank on a mermaid's costume? Inside the tailfin, perhaps? That might be more consistent with the mermaid illusion than a hookah hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom