Returning to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt Dog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, I am just getting back to diving after almost 7 years off. I was in the military when 9/11 happened and then got married and had 2 kids so diving was shelved for a while, but now I'm back! Anyway, I was wondering and I know there have been discussions on here as to which is better, but what's the difference between PADI, GUI, SSI, NAUI etc? I got my OW through PADI, but have been told they are kinda like a puppy mill, just pumping out certs without regard to the diver, but I have to say my instructor I thought was very thorough, even though it was only a 4 day class.

I am in Morehead City, NC and would like to get back into it but not sure which way to go. I know of two dive shops around, Olympus, and Discovery Diving. Anyone have experience with either of these two? Also I am considering taking a refresher course, is it worth it or should I just schedule a dive with a DM?

Lastly, I know there are a ton of wrecks around Morehead, but to get back into it I would like to start with a nice, easy dive, what do you all recommend for a born again diver?

Welcome Home. I am partial to PADI as a PADI pro, but recomend them to you because they were your original certifying agency. PADI offers a very thorough "scuba review" for people just like you- certified divers who have been away. There is a classroom refresher on important concepts, including dive planning and safety, and an externsive pool session, reviewing and remediating skills. I think for the small fee- (at our shiop its about $75) you will get a very valuable update and refresher, including catching up on technological advances since you left the sport. Be sure to get your gear serviced and checked out too, along with your self. So whether with PADI or another agency, I think you will be well served to take a refresher and then go and enjoy diving more than ever!
DivemasterDennis

The character of the instructor will have a profound impact on the quality of the class. The LDS has some impact, but only because they tend to choose the instructors. The agency has the least impact (PADI/NAUI/SSI) are similar, there are differences but they are small compared to the instructor. With 7 years since your last dive, you might want to consider a refresher course or contact an instructor for 1:1 refresher dive at the least.

There is a section for your area, in this one it might not help, and then find a diver and go diving with them.

Happy Diving

Welcome back:)
If it was me, I'd take a vacation down to one of the caribbean islands. Once I get there, I would take a refresher course. Vacation and refresher, kill 2 birds with one stone!

Thanks DMDennis, It was a good long ride with the military but glad to be done! I think I may continue with PADI and get a refresher course, I need to call the shops and see what it will cost. I am really looking forward to it. I just bought a Prosub Dominator BC from a friend that has not used it in 3 years, I will have them check on it, I just bought a ScubaPro Mk200 Octo and Regs, a US Divers 3mm wetsuit, but I am considering buying a drysuit too. I need a new mask/snorkel/fin set, my old ones were sold, any recommendations on mask/fins?

@Grumpy, I think I am going to take a trip to the shops near me over the weekend and see if I can meet the instructors, hopefully I meet someone I feel comfortable with. I can't wait to get out on the wrecks around here.

I am going to take a vacation to florida here in a couple months, we are road tripping to the keys, thats why I want to get the refresher out of the way now!!

Welcome Back to diving!!! To reborn is to dive again.

Since your already a PADI certified diver. Than continue in that direction. If how ever your interested in getting another recognition you can do a cross over to another organization. Consider NASE or where service is professional and care for the diver is top priority. It's a good idea to get some diving prior to try to dive a wreck. Get into it no rush and have fun with it.

Apart from that your only option maybe that of which is local to you. If your planning on traveling inform me and I assist you on directions.

Have fund diving and enjoy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom