Advice for wreck diving from my boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beaufort

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm intested in wreck diving out of NC from my boat and would love some thoughts and advice from others.

I'm an experienced boater, been taking my boat offshore fishing for 20+ years. I've been diving for 3 years, feel I'm comfortable/competant/conservative/safe, master diver cert with 100 logged dives, mostly offshore wrecks (100'+ dpths). Up to now, all of my wreck dives have been through experienced dive charters.

My plan, as of now, would be to make the first dives from my boat on a near shore wreck - 10 miles out, 75' to the sand, 40' to the top of the wreck. This wreck is not too far out, not too deep, fully in tact with a lot of relief (easier to find on sonar). I would always have a dive buddy and I would always have another experiened boater on the boat while we're diving.

I have a 26', twin outboard, center console, with dive ladder. I have dive flags. I do not have 100% 02 training - is it a mistake to dive without it on the boat?

What do you think? What advice can you offer? How would you anchor to the wreck/off of the wreck? How do you descend/ascend while dealing with anchoring?

What is the etiquette/what to do/not to do if other divers are already on site? What about if fishermen are already on site?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't see a problem. Go for it. The main thing, to me, is that you leave someone on the boat in case your anchor or buoy line comes loose. If there's no buoy line or it's too deep to anchor I'd swim down with a line. At the end of the dive cut the line loose and ride it up. If there are other divers on site maybe you can fasten your line further down on the wreck so's to be out of their way. Same goes for fishermen. Who ever is there first has the right of way. If it wasn't so expensive to live on the Upper Keys, where I do most of my diving, I'd be doing the same thing with my own boat. Oh well, maybe I'll hit the lottery tomorrow night. There's alway hope.

I can see no real barriers for you conducting diving from your own boat. I would recommend getting some O2 kit and ensuring that you have a comprehensive written emergency plan. At the very least, make sure you have means to contact the Coastguard and contact details for DAN and your nearest recompression chamber.

O2 Kit isn't hard to use. Whilst the O2 provider training is very valuable, I wouldn't let the lack of that training delay getting the kit on your boat.

Thanks for the replies. Good point about the 02 kit. May look into purchasing for the boat and plan to get trained. Good thought also about a thorough emergency plan on paper. I do have 2 vhfs on board and will also be in cell range on the near shore wrecks.

Any ideas on the best method to anchor with a captain and two divers? I have seen several methods. I have some thoughts on how I may do it. But, would love some input here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom