Random Use of EAN, VIP and O2 Certification Decals and Labelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Cylinder certification labels provide some degree of proof of VIP currency, Enriched Gas blending tolerances and Cylinder Gas contents. Cylinder certification labels are widely available on the internet. These labels can even be purchased freely through certification agencies or for the so inclined willing to spend the extra money and make the effort , fabricated at any graphic arts store.

In my opinion a quality, reputable inspection and certification center (read local dive shop via a graphic arts store) is willing to place their name and contact information on such labels. Note: it is also my opinion that a reputable dive shop or certification center does not pull scams causing the customer un-needed financial expenditure regarding cylinder certification.

Due to the accessable ease of aquiring certification labels many divers have taken to applying them at their convenience. Unfortunately many of these divers are lacking qualification or actual factual knowledge of the cylinder inspection process. As a consideration simply working in a dive shop does not guarantee the technician has the correct working knowledge or at the minimum; approved reference material to refer to.

My post is not to critize those who apply their own labels but rather to suggest at the very least to undertake some form of self education to the liabilities, practices, procedures and processes related to using such labels and cylinder certification.

The internet has a wealth of information at your disposal and to simply apply labels brings with it a element of risk acceptance. I refer you to the DOT, Compressed Gas Act (cylinder handling) and OSHA, to mention a few. Other countries will have their own laws and regulations, so check your local area and governmental laws.

Here I see the internet as part of the solution as much as it may be part of the problem. That and the individual who is looking to save a few bucks by applying their own acquired labels.

I also wish to bring to the attentiion of the average diver that dive shops are often looking for ways to save money and may not elect to advertise their name on these labels. While this not ideal it's a fact of life. Just as you would not procure breathing gas at a unknown qualitative source, you should still request validation of the shop or individual to perform cylinder certification.

Equally here I suggest that dive shops and those operating filling stations make a careful assessment when handling cylinders. If you feel the label has been applied with the intent to allow continued cylinder filling but lacking honest validation, then you should protect yourself, the business and to the greater extent the customer by requesting the cylinder be confirmed regarding it's certification. The customer may not like this but the time it takes to at the very least remove the valve and do a quick internal check may put all at ease and illustrate your professionalism - safety first.

There are cylinders in use that have been identified by governing authorities to be removed from service.Some from many years past. Some cylinders have not been opened for inspection in years, only being validated at time of hydrostatic testing. And even then! These cylinders remain in use because certification labels continue to be applied by unknowing or disregarded by non-observing individuals.

My suggestion is take the time to know the rules of the game, to protect yourself and those you dive with. For what it is worth I am in need of up-dating my cylinder inspection certification and will do so within the next year.

Good post ... some quick follow-up thoughts ...

Maintaining your tanks should be approached just like maintaining your regulators ... the vast majority of divers will need to take them to someone who is trained and equipped to maintain them properly. A small percentage will want to do the work themselves ... and those folks should seek out the knowledge and equipment to do the job properly.

Divers are a notorious bunch when it comes to finding ways to cut corners and save a little money ... the equipment that holds and delivers your breathing gas isn't the place to take that approach. Don't cheap out. If you can do the job right, great ... if not, pay someone who's trained to do it for you ... your next breath may depend on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob good point on regs and equally so if not more so

I do my regs but I don't do my tanks. I have a financial interest in my tanks passing, so I don't feel that I can trust myself to test them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom