Are you a Sweet or Sour Diver?

How do you greet other divers? (Multi-answer)

• Friendly Wave

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Some form of a Salute

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Just a Nod

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I tend to just keep swimming/hovering.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diving here in the chilly waters of Monterey, CA we usually don't get to see much beyond 15ft if we're lucky. Despite being at a crowded site, it's a rare thing to see any other divers from my class once we drop down and split off, much less any divers who aren't affiliated with the university.

On the rare chance that I do see another diver who's not part of my group or team I usually like to give an "OK" salute, or some form of acknowledgment.
But sometimes my attention has to be on my students, especially during our checkout dives, and during those times I usually don't initiate a friendly wave.
I've noticed that 9 times out of 10, if I'm not saying "hello" all other divers tend to ignore us. Just a small glance then off they go.
Maybe it has something to do with the sand plumes. :confused:

So lets hear it from your side. How do you greet those unknown divers you meet underwater?
Do you wave like crazy? Or do you give a glance and swim off?
Are you Sweet Or are you Sour? :coffee:

So far, just an ok, typically, though sometimes I get greeted with the obvious "are you talking to me?" look. I've only done it a couple of times, though since my dives are limited and generally there haven't been other people around that you can see in the water.

For me it depends.

There were a couple of times, when diving in the FL Keys, that people have mistaken me for some one on their boat because I waved at them. No, I'm not kidding.
The divers thought I waved at them because I recognized them from their dive boat so they figured it was ok to follow me. So on dives where there are multiple boats I do not wave at anyone unless I recognize them.
On beach dives I will wave at other people because even if they follow me they have a decent chance of getting to land.
If there are a lot of divers in the water, like our recent dive at BHB, I don't wave much because it's about all I would be doing.

I always wave, even in Monterey.

Once, when I encountered two Marines on a training mission diving on the Yukon in San Diego, I gave my most enthusiastic "I'm a loyal American citizen" wave AND smile. They were all business as they swam past. (As their RIB patrol boat fired up shortly thereafter, try were like running out of mission time.)

I've found my waves reciprocated more often than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally resort to just OK sign and maybe a slight nod. I am always conscious of how my signs could be perceived by others while underwater.

I'm always willing to flash the "Shaka" sign. If I'm diving, I'm in a good mood.

I'm a very friendly and sociable person, but under water, three is a crowd. Sometimes, when I'm diving solo, two is a crowd. As much as I love every diver who shares my passion, as soon as we sink below the surface, I don't want to see anyone, especially when I'm taking pictures. Other divers in the vicinity to me only means less marine life to look at. I ignore them and make an effort to get out of the area as quickly as I can.

If I know them, I usually give them a mock salute. If I don't, I usually pass on by.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom