going to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luckyfishrag

Reaction score
I am going to Roatan as one of the stops on my cruise. There are 4 of us who are new divers. We would like to do a dive or snorkel. I have heard that there are some places that you can dive or snorkel with wild dolphins....
We are open to suggestions. Do you have any?
We can go on the trip offered by the cruise (at an inflated price I am certain) which is a 2 tank dive at Ambergeis Caye. Does this sound good? It is $99. I have heard that cruise ships sometimes go with cheap operators, not always the quality trips. I would love to go with the dolphin thing.... if there is such a thing.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Ambergris Caye is in Belize not Roatan.
:)

Yea that would kinda be a long boat trip if you left from Roatan to go dive on ambrigris cay! it's a bit shorter if you start in Belize City or there abouts.:)

It's easy to get the Caribbean locations confused. Maybe you will be stopping at Roatan Honduras one day, and at A-Key Belize another. They are not far apart for an overnight cruise ship.

Swimming with wild dolphins is always a possibility, as the wild ones go where they want. Just no likely to happen, yet - if it does, treat them with the respect you should give to a powerful, wild animal that is capable of killing a shark its own size. :poking: Look, but don't touch.

I dived with Anthony Key's trained dolphins in July, and would reccomend the snorkel with dolphins. Cheaper and more fun, both. I had to dive, as the snorkel tour was full by the time I asked. Sign on early.

It'd be great if you could dive Roatan walls and snorkel with the dolphins both!! I love the diving there. Be careful to NOT FREE DIVE SNORKEL BEFORE OR AFTER DIVING. Can bring on DCS.

When I've dived on cruises, I've always taken the operator offered for the timing and convenience. It might be cheaper and better to find your own, or - you might miss completely. But like others on this board, I gave up crusing for dive trips.

Have fun. don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom