Smith Lake Vidor, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janamc

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!
First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, my apologies in advance...I'm a newbie. :):)

My husband and I just got our OW cert in Cozumel last week while you guys were there. We're looking into getting our advanced OW cert. We're using a DI in Lake Charles, LA. His fave location for the training is the Flower Garden. My husband is all gung-ho about that, but I'm still a little intimidated by the depths. We did all our training in 20-25 feet.

Other options are Smith Lake in Vidor, Mammoth Lake south of Houston, and some fresh water springs in FL. Any thoughts on Smith Lake or the other locations? Or can you suggest other locations that would have the required 60' depth for AOW cert? Being a newbie, viz is still a concern of mine. I would like to become a more confident diver before jumping into a muddy lake!

Thanks in advance!
Jana Mc

There is also 288 lake around Houston that you can dive at. The Vis in Mammoth is about 15+ feet so it isnt that bad there are lines set at the bottom of the lake connecting the "wrecks" so it is a nice and comfortable dive. The hydrilla in 288 kinda freak me out so that isnt one of my favorite spots to dive at. But i highly suggest mammoth lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom