Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Only if LDS is 20% more expensive

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Only if LDS is 30% more expnenive

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recent post on an LDS charging $25 for trying on a wetsuit brought up an interesting point - how often do divers use the LDS for a fitting room and then purchase on-line any why?

If I need something like a mask that I want to try on first, I'll buy where I try (assuming it fits). I paid $150 for my first Atomic frameless. The next two I ordered online for $75 so I'm still a winner

If you do otherwise you're a deadbeat & I don't know how you sleep at night

I guess I just skewed the results of this thread even further (I doubt many people would have posted Yes anyway)

If I go to an LDS and ask to try on something, they get the first shot at the sale.
I never buy anything of significance without an idea of the going price, so if they are in the ball park and the gear fits, they make a sale.
At some point, about 20% for me, I will feel taken advantage of and I will walk away and order on-line if they cannot adjust the price.

If I need something like a mask that I want to try on first, I'll buy where I try (assuming it fits). I paid $150 for my first Atomic frameless. The next two I ordered online for $75 so I'm still a winner

If you do otherwise you're a deadbeat & I don't know how you sleep at night

I guess I just skewed the results of this thread even further (I doubt many people would have posted Yes anyway)

Did you know you could order the same mask for $75 at the time you paid $150?

Depends on the LDS, I have tried 5 in the area, bought something at 4 of them.

3x 50-100% overpriced. (Apeks Reg set at 1800$ (800$ in the USA) - or (Beuchat reg setup at 850$-350 elsewhere)
2x 10% overpriced.

Dive shop have 2 tactics that I saw.
1) Attract "tourist" type divers and fleece them.
2) Attract local divers and give a fair price.

Being "stuck" in Canada sometimes shipping fees kill the advantage of the cheaper item.

I would use it as a "fitting place" only if the prices is 30% over, it is generally 10% over anyways (shipping fees are that much usually)
Secondly, if I buy a mask or a wetsuit, I know that if something happens I can just go back and show him and with the service I get probably something free.

Exemple: I bought Springs for my fins, they were too large, brought them back after 1 year of use, told him "it really doesn't work for me", got a new pair free.
Do you think an internet shop would replace them? Once you use something, it's usually not returnable.

2nd exemple: Weight pockets DR . Divegearexpress= 80$ on sale -- LDS no sale = 130$ there I'd be going towards the interweb for them.

Drysuit is the only thing I can think about that would make the $ worth the fitting and buying on the net. 2k in store vs 1.5k on the net.....mmhhh 500$

Well this is really a tricky question. Have I done this, Yes. Will i buy from that shop if they are within 10-15%, Yes. Will i pay $1000 for a $400 Semi-Dry suit, Hell no....but i will find one to try on to make sure it fits!

These shops get bent because people are buying online, but they wont make themselves more competitive by making a 30% profit instead of a 120% profit. They are taking themselves out of the competition and blaming it on the guys that give customers a fair shake.

Fortunately my favorite LDS does not carry the wetsuit, fin or mask brands that I prefer so I'm not even tempted to do this. I love them for other stuff though.

I have never tried on a wetsuit in a dive shop. I did try some split fins on at the shop when I did my OW but they didn't have my size so I got them online and saved about 40% over the shop's "sale" price. I generally know what size I need for stuff and have most of the crap I actually need to "fit" so I rarely go into a shop looking for sizing. When I do, I try to buy then or make them completely aware I will be back when I'm ready to buy. Otherwise, I think it's generally rude to the shop to waste their time.

I voted never. I go into LDS to look around, if there is something there that I want I will buy it. If I see something that I know for a fact that I will order on-line, I do NOT try it on at the store. I am a small business owner and there is nothing that boils my blood more than being used. I give the LDS the first shot and if they are a little over, I buy it from them. I do not have a set percentage or figure in my head as to when I will walk due to mark up. More than price, I want them to be able to help me. Example, looking at bp/w's many don't carry them. The one that did carry one that I have been looking at (have not tried it on) when asking questions they could not answer very well. One question was something like this...I dive mostly fresh water, I wear 5m wetsuit, I use x tank, blah, blah, what lift on the wing would I need? They could not answer. Which leads me to believe that if I buy said wing, I would be on my own to figure it out. However, called store in FL and told the same thing to them, they had an answer and reasons why. Same wing, 2 different places, but I would go with the one that was able to offer me some help. Have also, talked to one here on SB, and he was very good about helping me, I lean more towards him. Price is one factor, but more important is the help I will get. I can ask questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom