Anyway to upgrde old Outback's velcro weight pocket with new clip on ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I got an old Sherwood Outback BCD that uses velcro to hold the weight pockets. The velcro are 50% gone and I use a snap clip to hold it in place just in case it slides out. I was wondering if the snap on clip weight pockets of the most recent Outback could be retrofitted onto my old BCD. I don't know why it shouldn't given that the cummerbund section is completely detachable.

Although you may be able to physically piece something together to hold it in, we do not recommend this as if you need to remove the weight, the mechanism needs to function fast and correct. We do have replacement velcro weight pockets available so to do it correctly, you should replace the pocket. The item # is SWP-08,-10, or -15. The #'s after the dash indicate the size capacity of the weight pocket.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

I thought the Outback is modular, with separate bladder, bladder cover, tank mount, harness and cummerbund. Doesn't they weight integrated system completely reside on the cummerbund having the rear clips attached via straps attached to the backpack part of the harness?

Currently I use a nylon clip and utilize the clip next to the pocket and pocket itself so I am fine the way it is. Just wanted to upgrade to something more safer. Now it is a 2 step process to ditch weights (pull weights out, unsnap weights).

Based on your description the velcro weights are what you need. If you need additional assisitance, please contact an authorized dealer by email with photos or bring it in to the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom