Dive Instructor Ratio = 16/1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This was brought up in another thread, and I wanted some opinions from anyone who was a student where the instructor/student ratio = 16/1 (without another instructor and without a dive master).

I have seen diver/instructor ratio = 6/1, diver/instructor/dive master ratio = 4/1 and 5/1, but I have never witnessed or heard (until someone posted it) of an instructor/student ratio = 16/1...

Help me figure this out, thanks

Years ago classes that large (& larger) were very common

How long ago? I was an instructor in 1985 and the ratio was 6/1 or 5/1 with a dive master (6 students or 10 students max)

My OW class was 10:1 in the pool, and when we got to open water another instructor joined us and the group was divided.

Under which organization?

16:1 Ratio Doesn't exist. unless it's for skin divers. Actual Scuba Diving there is no such ratio as of to date. Perhaps! They've miss interpreted to refer to skin diver where the ratio is 16:1 for a dive master and construed that as in general.

Information and knowledge is powerful, However sometimes it's important to flush fiction and non fiction. By simple logic.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Sometimes they hold discover class with open water when the operation was short handed.....
It's not very ethical, but it works for the first class. I have not seen the entire open water class with 16:1.

Cooltech,
In the silting video of a class at BHB YouTube - ‪silting-instruction‬‏ , I think there are at least 12 students...there "may" be a DM or assistant ( the guy with the camera seemed to be with them), but he did not help any of the students that I could see.... This was by no means the worst class I have seen, and certainly not the largest. I just happened to be swimming along in 40 foot vis, and then saw a wall of silt in front of me--and I "investigated" :)

How many students do you think are here, versus how many "functioning" instructors or DM's ?

Sometimes they hold discover class with open water when the operation was short handed.....
It's not very ethical, but it works for the first class. I have not seen the entire open water class with 16:1.

It's more than unethical. It is a standards violation that would leave the instructor liable for a big lawsuit if anything were to happen.

What agency is this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom