Gulf Shores Shore Dive Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcrews5508

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im not for or against solo diving as I am still building my expierence(20 Dives) but what is your opinion on solo diving from the shore in less than 20 feet of water. While I agree that I need more expierence unfortunately I live on the Gulf Coast where boat diving is my only option. Because of that, expierence must be bought on boat dives and is quite costly. I do however have access to a beach house for 4th of July in Gulf Shores and as such have easy access to the Gulf. Although there is not alot to see I could get quite a few dives developing basic skills in less than 10 -15 feet of water. What are your thoughts. And FYI I do have all of the equipment for a solo diving but thats because i'm just a big fan of redundancy even when I'm buddy diving

With 20 dives! I can presume your an OW Diver? The level is not an issue.

Issues Are

• Insurance Coverage
  • No one to assist
  • Possibility of underwater or Surface incidents
  • Panic Control.

Diving alone! is a catch 22 issues. The debate sways in too many directions.

Insurances point of view is against for the solo diver in recreational diving. If an occurrence should arise. Coverage maybe void upon the light of solo diving. Commercial diver are the only solo divers. However they have constant; backup, observation, communication and training to the full extent beyond recreational diving. To depths of 100m i.e.. Thus; insurance premiums range from $30 and up per year. Depending on the country and level.

Dive shop owners and resorts Apart from the fact that they can get sued and their premiums will rise to compensate for the payouts. The bad publicity.
The thought of a problem occurring eliminates the consideration of permitting solo diving.

The Safety of a solo diver
. It's irrelevant of how secured or prepared a solo diver is. In an emergency they're vulnerable. Humane errors increase dramatically and the cause and effect reverts to one source. the solo diver!!! Thus, the fault and responsible is the only one being the "solo diver".

Worldwide Depending on where you select to dive "solo divng" is prohibited in some countries and states internationally.

Conclusion What does it all mean! If a solo diver has an incident the impact would affect scuba diving entirely. Strict insurances. higher premiums, enforced laws of no diving alone and the imposition of being accompanied by a Divemaster or Instructor and so forth...

Now consider this scenario

Presume that to dive in 3-4 meters of water is safe, for argument sake. A diver dives in this depth of water observing marine life and so forth. Meanwhile; a boater unaware of the diver below powering their motor and pushing the boat. It's open water!!! the picture is clear?​

This is where the gates to problems and issues arise. Problems can occur from self infliction or from that of there surroundings. The latter is the inevitable! The unknown factor.

Therefore my fellow diver. If a closed area without the possibility of any entry for the unknown is sealed. And the elimination of all possible cause and effect Diving alone can be practiced and be considered safe. As I've seen many issues of solo divers leading into different directions of ignorance.

Have fun diving enjoy and in the future!!!

Are you sure it's legal to shore dive in Gulf Shores? How much do you know about tides, especially tides in that area?

On July 4 in Gulf Shores, you can't find a dive buddy? Go here: Florida Conch Divers and here: Deep Dixie Divers and I'll bet you can find a buddy.

Most people would think that you are a little short on dives to be going solo. Personally I agree. Of course, if you are anything like myself, you'd probably ignore any recommendations and go ahead with it. Make sure that your life insurance is paid up.

There are decent shore dives there, the Whiskey Wreck off Alabama Bob's, the jetties, etc. You'll need to tow a dive flag and you can bet the place will be buzzing with boats and jet skis with inexperienced drunken riders. My advice: post up in the Dixie divers forum and find a local buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom