Tank Stability with the Dive Rite TransPac Harness soft backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings BurhanMourtasser I dove the TranPac with singles for about 2 1/2 years and also a BP&W what I found was that stability really was not an issue at all.
Does it wobble a little out of water not a lot if you have the harness buttoned down and adjusted correctly.
In the water you sometimes have to tighten it a bit but my BP&W is adjusted enough to be able to slip out of it thus a bit of wobble it present.

I dove a Rec wing and did not seem to have any issues, I have witnessed Travel and other wings do just fine I think it is not a big factor.
Why I like the TransPac is the fact you can use it to build a Nomad later on and it is very versatile size wise to fit very well.
If you want to ask any more questions by all means do so.
PM or ask away no problem.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Well, I must disagree. I dived a Transpac for 8 years before switching to a BP/Wing harness system. There is no comparison with regard to stability. The BP/Wing can be adjusted to eliminate 100% of cyclinder swing/unstability. Most folks adjust a BP/wing with just enough slack to allow a safe and timely egress in water, which culminates into a very stable system..|

Transpacs make perfect BCD systems for my visiting guests (relatives). :)

Last edited:
I dive the SP X-Tek soft harness which is almost exactly the original Transpac. I love it. Very stable due to the ability to tighten the soft harness to the curves of my body. I find them much more stable than my BPs which I only use for doubles. In fact, sine SP stopped making them years ago, I bought up several in like new condition so I can dive them into my 80s.

Does anyone have any feedback on tank(s) stability with the Dive Rite TransPac Harness with soft backplate based on first hand experience please?
Based on using a Transpac with double steel 130s, I found it surprisingly, remarkably stable. I was forced to rent a Transpac last year when my BP/W was stolen during a dive trip. I had serious reservations about it before getting in the water. However, using the Transpac with the stablizing plates worked fine. I would use one again. I suspect you were inquiring abut single tank use, and that is not something I can help with. But, for doubles, no problema.
Also, does this stability (or lack of) depend on which wing is used with this harness/soft backplate?
As far as I can tell, 'No'. I used two different wings over two days, and noticed no difference.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPac Harness[/QUOTE]

I dive a transpac and steel 119 single tank. I have no problem with stability when it cinched right both dry and wet. I've also dove it with both a travel and rec wing and no problem with either. The only issue (a minor one is I need to add 6 pounds in trim weight when diving dry. So for dry I'm leaning to get a plate for the extra weight but otherwise I like the transpac a lot and it trims out very well in the water.

Dive right also makes some very nice plate systems!

I used a TP for several years diving singles & doubles. I found the TP to be just as stable as a BP. I changed to a BP to eliminate the extra lead required to counter the buoyancy of the rig, & to remove the weight of the BP in lead from my weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom