What is your...

What is your natural buoyancy in the water?

• Positively buoyant

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Neutrally buoyant

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Negatively buoyant

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Never tried

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Natural buoyancy in fresh water?
With either just a bathing suit, and / or mask, fins, and snorkel?

1) Positively buoyant
2) Neutrally buoyant
3) Negatively buoyant
4) Never tried

I personally was in a pool the other day, with my mask fins and snorkel, and noticed that I was neutrally buoyant!

How about you?

With a full breath at the surface once I'm at 7-8ft I'm neutral. Any further and I start to sink, and higher and I start to float.
This is just with a pair of trunks on.

In 26 years of aquatics I've witnessed only around a half dozen people who were truly negatively buoyant and they were all competitive athletes at an elite level. 99.9% are suffering from fear of getting face/ears in water and simple ignorance of front/back float mechanics... which requires proper head position or the hips WILL sink, bringing the feet with them.

In 26 years of aquatics I've witnessed only around a half dozen people who were truly negatively buoyant and they were all competitive athletes at an elite level. 99.9% are suffering from fear of getting face/ears in water and simple ignorance of front/back float mechanics... which requires proper head position or the hips WILL sink, bringing the feet with them.

I might suggest that your observations may be a bit skewed by the fact that many people who are negatively buoyant tend to shy away from aquatic activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom