Ikelite housing leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjd_ag

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased an ikelite housing for my canon 50D and a flat port for a 100mm macro lens (#5508.45). I took the case to the beach and tried it in shallow water without the camera and it was okay (no leak). Two days ago I went on a dive trip and after the first dive, I noticed some water drops inside the case and on the camera itself but nothing serious, the dive time was approximately 40 min and maximum 75 ft. the second dive was almost the same and I also observed some water drops inside.

On the third dive, I dived to a maximum 50 feet for 58 minutes, but the situation got worst this time, when I opened the case the lens zoom ring was wet and the camera was also wet at some locations, it was obvious that the case was leaking, most probably from the port. I checked the O-rings and they were okay, I also lubricated them as instructed

I am not sure what’s the problem, could it be the o-ring? Or there could be a problem with the case or the port?

It sounds like you have a small amount of sand somewhere. Take a lint free rag and clean the oring grooves. Inspect with magnifying glass. Repeat for orings being careful not to stretch them. Also inspect all the control orifices. Put a thin coating of silicone on the orings and re-assemble. Ikelite housings are usually very reliable but like all housings a grain of sand can ruin your day. I'm assuming you have the flat port with the adjustment knob, make sure it is mounted correctly and not ever so slightly cock- eyed.

mjd_ag,

If any water is noted inside your housing, DO NOT dive with it until the leak has been identified and addressed. Once addressed, take the housing to your preferred diving depth without the camera inside. If a leak is still present, send the housing to Ikelite for evaluation.

If the leak point is hard to determine, try placing paper towels in the housing to isolate the breach.

Doubler is correct that you probably have a piece of sand or a small hair on an o-ring, however make sure you identify the problem before diving with the camera inside the housing.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom