First side mount outing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asimpkinsjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Today was my first time diving my s/m gear. I picked up a Hollis sms100 a couple months ago. I dove it for the first time today in Fort Wetherill, RI.

Horizontal trim was super easy to attain, actually I found to get vertical in the water I first had to roll onto my back then drop my legs.

The funny thing is my setup was a complete mystery to the other divers in my group, in fact my dive buddy had me stop on the fin out so he could "fix my tank" which he thought had come loose.

I have not yet had the pressure gauge line shortened yet... A MUST do, also lengthening of the second stage lines. All in all I dig it!

There are some decent books that may help you to refine your SM setup (I recommend Side Mount Profiles by Brian Kakuk and Jill Heinerth, both of whom have been working SM for years).

Also consider finding an experienced SM diver/instructor and working with them for a weekend. There are lots of SM workshops and clinics these days too... This is perhaps the most popular and effective learning experience (mine fill up in a heartbeat). And if you ever get down to Florida, look up Edd Sorrensen, Rob Neto, Lamar Hires all of whom will share insight that it is going to take you a lot of trial and error to gain for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom