color loss at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Diving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, here's a question for our physics majors. We all know that water acts as a filter, and that as we go deeper we progressively lose the ability to see colors without the use of artificial light. Today I had a very unusual experience that I cannot explain.

I am diving with a Whites Hazmat suit, the color is bright orange. I am also wearing a pair of Caiman ballistic nylon mechanic's gloves which are a very similar bright orange. When I get down to 135 feet I notice that the gloves are still very bright orange while the suit appears to be a muddy brown. This is under ambient light conditions. The question is, why would the gloves fail to appear to "lose" their color? I have never noticed this phenomenon before and I am completely baffled.

I would guess that it just has to do with the material that the gloves are made out of vs the suit. Seems the gloves do a better job of bouncing light off of them while the suit tends to absorb more of the same light.

It could be due to the spectrum of light that these 2 objects reflect light to make it look orange. One could be broad spectrum, another could be narrow spectrum. Thus when you go deeper where the available light's spectrum changes dramatically from the surface, the amount of light that is reflected off changes, and the absorbed spectrum by the water could just coincide with what's reflected by the suit.

Also, your eyes has somewhat compensated for the lack of red light by rebalancing what you see to be more natural, thus you are able to see more 'red' from one or both items than if one took a picture of them with just natural lighting.

It's caused by the color gremlins who lurk about at depth.

I am diving with a Whites Hazmat suit, the color is bright orange. I am also wearing a pair of Caiman ballistic nylon mechanic's gloves which are a very similar bright orange. When I get down to 135 feet I notice that the gloves are still very bright orange while the suit appears to be a muddy brown. This is under ambient light conditions. The question is, why would the gloves fail to appear to "lose" their color? I have never noticed this phenomenon before and I am completely baffled.
I have a hypothesis for you and a simple experiment to test it.

The Whites Hazmat suit is rather effectively showing that there are no "oranges" to reflect at that depth, so where does the orange coming from the gloves originate? Quite simply, I hypothesize that it originates in the gloves themselves. The suit is purely *reflective*, but the gloves must be *fluorescent*.

In fluorescence, the material absorbs photons at one wavelength (often ultraviolet) and emits photons at another wavelength (in this case, orange). Ultraviolet light penetrates the water quite well (being off the short-wavelength end of our visible spectrum), so there should be sufficient UV to excite the fluorescence in the gloves. Additionally, as the total ambient light (and especially the ambient light in the "orange" region) is markedly less at 135 feet, the fluorescence makes the gloves appear bright orange.

A simple test would be to go to a dark area and shine an ultraviolet light on the Whites Hazmat suit and the gloves. The suit should appear dark, while the gloves should glow brightly orange. (A black light may be sufficient, as you probably don't have a set of long-, medium-, and short-wavelength filtered UV sources, but if you happen to know a geologist, fluorescence at different UV wavelengths can be quite fun.)

I think ClayJar has it. I checked Caiman's website and the only orange nylon glove I could find was "High Viz Orange".
I myself have a High Viz Orange line on my finger spool and always noticed the same.

Thanks ClayJar, that's an excellent answer, just what I was looking for! I will test the blacklight theory and post the results. I will also be using this setup at 185 feet in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how the gloves appear at that depth........Bill
I have a hypothesis for you and a simple experiment to test it.

The Whites Hazmat suit is rather effectively showing that there are no "oranges" to reflect at that depth, so where does the orange coming from the gloves originate? Quite simply, I hypothesize that it originates in the gloves themselves. The suit is purely *reflective*, but the gloves must be *fluorescent*.

In fluorescence, the material absorbs photons at one wavelength (often ultraviolet) and emits photons at another wavelength (in this case, orange). Ultraviolet light penetrates the water quite well (being off the short-wavelength end of our visible spectrum), so there should be sufficient UV to excite the fluorescence in the gloves. Additionally, as the total ambient light (and especially the ambient light in the "orange" region) is markedly less at 135 feet, the fluorescence makes the gloves appear bright orange.

A simple test would be to go to a dark area and shine an ultraviolet light on the Whites Hazmat suit and the gloves. The suit should appear dark, while the gloves should glow brightly orange. (A black light may be sufficient, as you probably don't have a set of long-, medium-, and short-wavelength filtered UV sources, but if you happen to know a geologist, fluorescence at different UV wavelengths can be quite fun.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom