Rescue dive (PADI)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off hello, I'm new to the forums and new to diving. That out the way with, I have my rescue class next week and was wondering if anyone had any good hints and suggestions (and, yes I have read the book, watched the ever so fun video)? Slightly nervous and just want to be worthy of my instructor.

Just enjoy the class. Rescue diver has a reputation as one of the best of the possible classes, it is one of those places where many of the skills that you have learned that seem disjointed and disconnected all come together.

Reactions: D_B
Rescue is the course I gained the most from!!! You will enjoy it greatly and is well worth the money spent. Rescue and self-rescue are the foundation/basis to everything else you will ever do!!! Enjoy the course and give us your feedback once completed.

Reactions: D_B
You have done the ground work already and being concerned about performance means you have your head in the right place.

In most of the rescue classes I have heard of, mine included, the instructors really push you beyond what you have probably had all ready. Don't get frustrated, keep and open mind, and your going to learn lots. Have fun!

When the instructor puts you in a difficult situation or pushes you to beyond your limits. keep in your mind that we learn diving for fun time and learn rescue when fun turned nasty. focus in the course and take it serious, may be this hours you spend in the course change somebody's life. you never know. enjoy the class and remember specially this course the tougher it is, the better it is. Have fun

Good hints and suggestions? Stay away from the bacon and grease for breakfast. :D

Other than that just enjoy the class. If you keep you attitude positive you'll have a good time. If you feel tired and moody, you'll have a horrible time. Just always be sarcastic happy at the very least and your ocean rescue will be like taking candy from a baby: Really hard, really grueling, but fun to look back on.

Great class to hone skills. Wear at least a shorty in the pool to help with surface skills. If the class is taught like it's supposed to, you'll be tired afterwards.

The best preparation is to make sure that your core skills (open-water training) is fresh and familiar. In particular, re-cap on what you learnt for AAS donation, safe ascents and equipment remove/replace. If you can't get any pool/practice time beforehand, just re-read some of your OW manual to refresh those skills in your mind.

For the course itself, get fully involved in the role-play/scenario aspects and treat them realistically. Try and visualise how you would be reacting if the scenario was real and a loved one was the victim.

I'm going to be the odd man out here, in that I don't think PADI Rescue Diver was all that and a bag of chips. I wouldn't advise anyone not to take it, because I think that the subject is extremely important, but I just feel that it probably needed to concentrate more on working in the water recognizing and avoiding emergencies and getting panicked/distressed/unconscious divers to the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom