Upgrade time, New BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josh37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello every one I am looking in to getting a new bc. I curently have a scuba pro classic(2 I think). I am looking into getting a back inflate, but I dont like how it looks like you have wings on your back. dose any one know a good back inflate bc for around $500 that dosnt have "wings"? I like how the mares icon bc looks and how they dont have "wings", but I hear they have leak problems and are no longer under warrnty.

Get a BP/W. (It had to be said.)

How about a back inflate for under $400 with a 2 year warranty and lifetime 50% trade in on any new BC from the same line? I have to say though I don't understand the aversion to a wing. Wings only look big and oversized if they are improperly chosen when picking a size. I can sell you a BPW also by the way.

Get a BP/W. (It had to be said.)
That's going to be a tough sell to a guy who:

I dont like how it looks like you have wings on your back.
:D

Hello every one I am looking in to getting a new bc. I curently have a scuba pro classic(2 I think). I am looking into getting a back inflate, but I dont like how it looks like you have wings on your back. dose any one know a good back inflate bc for around $500 that dosnt have "wings"? I like how the mares icon bc looks and how they dont have "wings", but I hear they have leak problems and are no longer under warrnty.
Josh, BCs aren't like the fall fashion lineup. Unless there is a functional problem, you can keep them for many seasons. What's the problem with your Classic? Color fading? Looking for a bolder silhouette? Blue is the new black? Mares is all the rage?

I have a Zeagle Stiletto. It is a back inflate. If fashion is what you are after you can customize your BC. Mine is black and that is what I prefer. The Stiletto is a great BC, it is a Back Inflate. I don't see much use in the customized BC but to each his own.

Custom BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

@josh37: I'm with vladimir on this. What's wrong with your Scubapro Classic BC? If there are any parts on it that require repair, you'll probably be impressed with Scubapro's customer service. One of my buddies has owned a Scubapro Knighthawk for years (10+?). In that time, he's only had a few minor issues with the BC: a couple of plastic buckles busted once and the seam on one of his weight-integrated pockets started coming apart. On all three occasions, Scubapro fixed the issues at no charge.

There are a lot of great rear-inflate BCDs and BP/W rigs on the market for under $500.
Although I'm sure the Mares Icon would work out OK, it wouldn't be at the top of my list.

The best advice I could give you is to demo the BCD on a real world dive (if at all possible) before buying it.
Over the years, I've found that I prefer a BC with 2 tank cambands, a standard power inflater (easy to repair, inexpensive to replace), a simple webbing harness, one pull-dump/OPV, and the ability to take it apart for easy rinsing. For cold water diving, BP/W rigs which incorporate a stainless steel backplate are often easier to trim out and allow the diver to carry less ballast. That being said, with careful weight placement and some attention to adjustment/fitting, I could dive very comfortably in a jacket-style or conventional rear-inflate BCD, too. YMMV.

I’m not all about fashion I just like how the icon bladder looks is it a crime to want a bc on how it looks. If it is a crime better call atomic because they have color kits for their B2 reg, and oceanic their ultra-dry snorkels come in a ton of different colors O don’t forget any company that makes fins o wait just about everything in diving(other than tech gear) has fashion.

There is only 1 thing about my scubapro I don’t like when its inflated and I’m on the surface the part that comes over my shoulder gets twisted and rub my shoulder raw.
Really the only reason I want a new BC is my wife is getting some extra money and said she would buy me a new bc

A lot of divers (including me) make this sport needlessly expensive by indulging their gear lust too freely. I think you should continue to use your Scubapro Classic. I have nothing against fashion--I have a $1200 pair of shoes! But there's nothing cooler in dive fashion than well-worn, sun-bleached, faded equipment, in my opinion.

Last edited:
ok well I was going to post this question first but I thought every one would say BC. should I buy a new reg(atomic b2) or a new bc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom