Eurojacks at Loyd Beach.... What is a Eurojack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
John U. Lloyd Beach State Park describes their scuba like this

"For those interested in the underwater beauty of South Florida, Lloyd Beach has one of the easiest and interesting shore dives in the area. You can follow the submerged Eurojacks to the first reef. This allows snorkelers and divers to see a vast array of sealife including tropical and sport fish, sharks and Florida lobster"

Anyone know:
What is a Eurojack?
How deep is this area?
Is a pretty interering dive?

Thanks

'.

It is fairly shallow and very interesting. Lots of beautiful sea life! The only down side is the schlep from the parking lot to the entry point. It's either a long hike down the beach or a long surface swim.

There is also a line of them off of the Fort Lauderdale Bahia Mar resort.
Parking at the Public beach parking across the street.
It costs a few bucks to park in this public lot.
There is a barge sunken at the north end of the jacks a short distance away.
Shore dive doable if you are used to it.
LOTS OF BOAT TRAFFIC!

Chug
Doved them both.

A lot of people (myself included) consider the proper term to be erojacks, not eurojacks. They were placed to help ease erosion. They are a fabulous dive, full of life! If you're up for a really long death march along the beach in full gear and a long swim back, they are awesome. If not, go by boat. :wink:

A lot of people (myself included) consider the proper term to be erojacks, not eurojacks. They were placed to help ease erosion. . . .

Right you are! (But, you've got to admit the "eurojacks" sounds so much cooler.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm -- I always thought they were left over Military Beach landing obstacles and when they where not neeeded anymore they made a reef out of them. These exact same structures were used on Normandy beach to hinder the landing vehicles. I do not know if they were called erojacks or eurojacks. EroJacks is kinda sexual in that Eros is a erotic god. I am thinking they were originally EuroJacks or more well known as Hedge Hogs in WW2 but honestly I have not done any research and just am too close to bedtime to look right now. This is all off the top of my miss guided head and needs checking.. :)

Thanks everyone!

Would we need to plan our dive with the tides?

No need to plan according to tides. However, I prefer to dive them in the morning. The winds tend to be less, as the swim there on the surface might be a half hour, give or take a few minutes. Also, if the wind is from the south, it's gonna be a pain swimming back at the end of the dive. They tend to be difficult to locate the first time. But this is usually because people don't swim far enough. If you stay close to shore and do a more northerly swim you will see first the fence for the state park then further north a single jack in the sand. The jacks are almost straight out from that lonely jack on the beach.
If you choose to swim in a NE direction, you need to be about the same distance out as the end of the pier and further north maybe a quarter mile. Once you find them, you will notice they are perpendicular to shore and go to a ledge. If you are good on air, you can follow the ledge back south for a ways before turning west towards shore. Some may be disappointed by what is out there, but I enjoy that route.
One last thing. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FLAG!!! This is heavy boat traffic, and many times boats will anchor on or near the jacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom