Baby shampoo? and a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK here we go. i just got my advanced cert and ive been diving for some time now. when i asked how i could get my wet suit on easer. i mentioned baby shampoo and i was told not to use it its no good for the suit and it leaves bacteria trapped in the suit. OK heres the question can it be used? does it have any side affects on using? on the suit or me?

tried a 50 50 mix water and shampoo. it works great for me to get my suit on. i rinse/wash all my gear after diving. so does it hurt the suit?

i only ask because i had shoulder surgery looking for easy ways to get this dam suit on with out needing four guys to help.

btw its a 7mm. can't aford drysuit yet. cold water is all i dive. 60 to 38 degrees.

The use of soap fostering bacteria.

That's a new one on me.

There is no harm in it!!!

Use of shampoo is fine! Especially if you wash it after every dive. Apply proper care.

• Soak in freshwater with a little shampoo for a few minutes.
  • Rinse well after.
  • Let dry in a shaded area
  • Avoid direct sunlight and dryers or heating aid.

Salt water will get to it eventually.

Enjoy the diving and have fun.

just wear a "rash guard' or under armor under wetsuit. You can use any kind or brand. Just as long as it's slippery. :) You can even by an under armor type LS shirt at wal-mart for about $10. (though much thinner than under armor brand) Any kind of spandex type material will do. Makes it much much easier to get wetsuit on & off. (You can get shorts as well)

In my opinion, if you need a product to make your wetsuit slick and easier to put on, it is too small. Get a larger size next time.

In my opinion, if you need a product to make your wetsuit slick and easier to put on, it is too small. Get a larger size next time.

I disagree. If everything is dry or wet I don't need anything and have a perfect fit. If the suit is damp or especially if I am sweaty on a hot day a little suit snot does wonders. I can do without it bit it saves me and the suit some stress.

Suit snot made a from 1/3 dollar store hair conditioner and 2/3 water in a pump sprayer does the trick cheap and without bubbles. You can go closer to 50/50 if your sprayer tolerates it. My use is mainly arms and shoulders. I have been using that concoction for 7 years without a problem. One suit has ~300 dives on it.

If you really need this all over all the time review your donning technique.

Pete

I use baby shampoo or cream rinse cut 50% with water. In the old days we used talc or cornstarch.

But then I still use a skin two sides suit, no nylon lining.

Last edited:
Take a plastic supermarket bag. Put on foot and put foot in wetsuit. Pull off foot. Repeat for each limb.
This always works and makes putting on a wetsuit a breeze.

Please consider not only the impact on your wetsuit, but also the environment in which you are going to dive. It would be better not to put any hair product (conditioner, shampoo, or other) in the water unnecessarily. I had never heard of the plastic bag technique before, but intend to try it out. (Just don't let the bag blow into the water!)
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
I use hair conditioner in a small spray bottle.

Choose a hair conditioner that does not irritate your skin or nose. Mix 1 part hair conditioner with 4 parts water in spray bottle.

On my SCUBA wetsuit I only spray the arms because that is what is hard for me to get on.
On my freedive wetsuits, I turn them inside out and spray chest, back, neck, legs and arms.

Wipe conditioner off feet so sand will not stick. Do not lube booties; they may slip off when hiking or kicking.

There may be ENVIRO Friendly products available. Check also SuitSlip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom