FL Keys or Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I suddenly got an unexpected kitchen pass to do a long weekend next month with some buddies and we're trying to decide where to go. I'm a very "comfortable in the water" newb (16 dives) and at least one of my buddies is certified but I have no idea his skill level. I suspect it's just his OW dives and that was a couple of years ago. Another buddy who may go along will get his cert on the trip if he goes.

As such, we're considering the FL Keys or Cozumel and I'd like to get some input about what might be better. I'm already planning to get the certified buddy into a pool at least and hopefully convince him to do a refresher. Obviously the non-certified buddy will have to be with an instructor most of the weekend and that may/will dictate some of our dives as well.

I'm looking for recommendations about which locale will be better for us as far as best dive options (down to 75-80 feet or so) that are also safe. So for those that have experienced both, which do you think might be better and why?

I'm reviewing both regional forums as well, but would like a current comparison of the two that I haven't dug up in searches yet.

Coz is mostly drift diving with some shore diving if you are interested. For the first day or two I'd put the buddy who needs a refresher (and maybe yourself) with the instructor who will be certifying your other buddy. Whatever, they supply a dive master with each group of 5 or 6 divers anyway. Personally, I prefer Key Largo and Islamorada because of the ships you can dive and you don't have to contend with the Houston TSA. Fort Lauderdale is bad enough. But then they sell SOL Mexican beer on Coz. That's something to consider.

If I was flying and staying a week, I would choose Coz.

If I was close enough to drive and it was for a long weekend, I would go to KL so I could maximize my diving up until I started the drive home.

I am guessing that you would fly to either location
Airfare - probably a couple of hundred cheaper going to Ft Laud or Miami rather than Coz. Consider flying to Cancun and then the bus to Playa and then the ferry to Coz if you can save enough to make it worthwhile.
Rental car - not needed in Coz but you will have some taxi fees.
Dive cost - probably cheaper in Coz especially if part of a hotel package.
# dives - In KL, you could do an AM trip, a PM trip, and maybe a night dive. In Coz, you could do an AM trip, a one tank PM trip, and/or some afternoon and night dives from the shore depending on where you are staying - either free or for the cost of a rental tank.
For your friend who has not dove in a while - All of the Coz boats will have a guide. Also, in Coz, he could make a shore dive on your arrival day to check things out.
Experience factor - unless you have recent deep experience or AOW, you may not be able to do a 70/80 foot dive in KL. In Coz, you may be able to since you are with a guide. In Coz, your first dive may be 60+ and your second dive 25 to 40 or so. Shore dives are probably 15 to 30.
Food - experience the local flavor in Coz.

With that said, I would probably choose Coz. Try Dive Paradise, Cozumel MX. Also, go to the agent who helped with the 2011 Coz Invasion - may have been Bay Adventures - check the Invade Coz forum.

I'd say safer bet is the Keys. You can get the dives you'll require and have a lot of fun doing so. Unless your all advance avoid deeper than 20 meters. Cozumel requires more experience in diving at 50 plus is my opinion.

At the keys you'll save more and be able to do more. You'll say time and you can extend your experience in diving while diving more. Consider Advancing to Advance Divers, if not already.

Have fun and enjoy the diving!!!

Win win really but the long weekend factor complicates things for many reasons.

If money and time don't matter then I pick Coz every time. Hands down. Not that KL sucks for sure. It has some world class diving that is frequently over looked. Like I said, win win! :) Nice problem to have!

I love the keys but I seem to get blown out there way too much. Bad luck I guess. I have never been blown out in Coz. If you go to KL make sure to pick an op that doesn't mind a bumpy ride or you are stuck on a long strip of road with water on every side that you can't go diving in.

With those buddies I'd go to Key Largo and dive Molasses.

If you go to Coz, hire a private DM for you two the first boat trip. Money well spent.

Do you all have diver insurance (DAN or Dive Assure?) and signalling devices?

You should pick somewhere else with easier conditions.

KL has no guides, so you are navigating on your own the whole time. You get lost, you are out of luck.

Coz, always drift diving. Really easy on the diver, but it is a learned experience and some people have to learn it. Plus, wall dive is almost on every boat trip and that along with the drift current might be too much for beginners.

Some place with incline reef like Bonaire would be most idea, or a place similar to Molasses reef in KL would be easy. Maybe Playa de Carmen? and throw in some cenotes at the same time?

You should pick somewhere else with easier conditions.

KL has no guides, so you are navigating on your own the whole time. You get lost, you are out of luck.

Coz, always drift diving. Really easy on the diver, but it is a learned experience and some people have to learn it. Plus, wall dive is almost on every boat trip and that along with the drift current might be too much for beginners.

Some place with incline reef like Bonaire would be most idea, or a place similar to Molasses reef in KL would be easy. Maybe Playa de Carmen? and throw in some cenotes at the same time?
Have you dived KL? Some the boats put DMs in on the dives.

I think Bonaire is too much for a weekend, and Tulum cenotes out the question for the out of practice diver.

I have been both places many times, and given the level of experience and training you and your buddy have, I suggest the Keys. The concessionaires there will likely not take you out to the deep wrecks (most want to see an advance certification or 100 logged ocean dives) but diving in Pennekamp park is great. Lots of wildlife, including big grouper, nurse sharks, an occasional turtle, huge green morays, barracuda, many fish, and pretty sponges and corals, and the diving is mostly 40 feet or less, so you get great bottom time. It is a good place to stretch you independence a little, as it is pretty calm and safe there almost all the time. Most concessionaires will let buddy teams dive off on their own if they wish, for that reason. So I think its the Keys all the way. Also, consider one of my favorite inexpensive places to stay and dive- Amy Slate's Amoray Dive resort right on Key Largo.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom