So why wouldn't you support a good LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There have been quite a few threads recently regarding local LDS v. online scuba shops. One recent LDS and the subject of a recent poll actually had the gall to charge $25 to try on wetsuits. That subsequently led to a poll about the ethics of going to an LDS, trying on a wetsuits knowing you would buy online anyways. All of you have your own opinions regarding the value of supporting your LDS if prices are reasonable and no way you are going for the better price online.

I fall into the former category, I will generally support my LDS whenever possible. Just to be impartial, I also buy online whenever the deal or equipment suits my purposes. If the online deal is just too good to pass up then I go online. If there is a chance to give the business to my LDS then I buy local.

Many of you have been complaining about bad or unscrupulous dive shops. I get it, not all shops are equal and some are more about getting a quick sale off an unsuspecting newbie. But what if you had a really good LDS, great service, and just about internet prices anyways?

I friend of mine was recommending this one particular dive shop in town. Said he heard they were by far the best LDS. They changed locations and I actually had a hard time finding them as the phone book originally listed their old address. I eventually found them after searching just about every LDS in the area.

So I signed up and did my PADI OW cert through their shop. When I initially bought my gear, it was all internet pricing on gear. No mark up, really. I bought Atomic subframe mask for $109 and Atomic Splits for $189. Both are same pricing as local Scuba.com. Then, when I bought my Zeagle BC they threw in a Ikelite dive lite for free. I haven't bought regs yet so I still rent. If they have Atomic Z in stock I always get first pick. Then, last weekend I decided to keep the gear and dive one extra day. I returned the tanks for refill, but they let me keep the gear and didn't charge me for the extra day.

I understand for some gear you will get a better price online. I understand many LDS shops are not as accomodating and will fleece their customers. But if you found a really good dive shop with competive pricing and great service, why would you shop anywhere else?

:popcorn:

I think you've answered your own question.

Most people are complaining about BAD dive shops with HIGH prices and UNFRIENDLY policies. They (we) aren't complaining about GREAT dive shops with LOW prices and FRIENDLY policies.

While I work for an online retailer, I used to work for a great LDS. To people in that town, I tell them to go there, not to my current employer. Where I live now, I tell people "if you don't mind driving over an hour, buy local". They then place the value on that drive time.

It's great that you found a dive center that takes care of you.

(Just a minor FYI, you overpaid for your gear :wink: We have the mask for $85 and fins for $140-150: Atomic Aquatics Subframe Mask and Atomic Aquatics Split Fins. I'm assuming based on the info you gave those are the items you purchased. But it sounds like their service was worth the extra $65-75.)

It's amazing how much money I will piss away buying stuff at an LDS where the staff treats me like I am shopping at a highline department store.

I can give you a two foot list of stores that I will not recommend because the staffers are indifferent- or worse- arrogant jerks. I don't want to argue dive philosophy- just sell me the next cool shiny "failure point" I want to add to my rig.

On a recent trip to Ft Lauderdale, we made a point to get to each LDS that we could. Of the twelve that we walked into (we did some driving!), I would have absolutely pulled the pin on the grenade on my way out for 6 of them. Of the other 6, I would recommend 4 of them heartily. One of them was the big-box type! Two of them I would issue executive clemency because they were being staffed by cute college-age girls during the slack midweek, but only a reprieve. In a SCUBA Town, this is not a good showing.

The retail dive business has long been populated with guys that like diving, then one day they wake up with the bright idea of opening a SCUBA store, having no clue whatsoever what retail is all about. Hint: Do not badmouth other local instructors or LDS, even with how hard you are baited to do so.

They feel financial pressure from the supply end (manufacturers who turn a blind eye to grey market and other antics) as well as their internet savvy customer base, many of whom are ignorant as to what value an LDS can provide (or have an Amazon.com version of pricing in their heads).

No wonder they get crazy.

So if you're nice to me, I'll do business. Nice could mean that the LDS has to learn some of the basic tenets of making a deal, understanding that a free air fill or a silicone tube will iduce a loot of good will. Unfortunately, that art of the deal is lost on most of the new kids. Some act like Ferengi merchants. el clicko linko >The Ferengi from Star Trek opens an LDS

Make me feel like you want my business, even if it's just a white lie.

Free, you are still buying equipment, and you are there student diver. Let us know on this thread in a few years how things are. after you spend a lot of money and got in as a customer, then when you buying has slowed, so does your benefits. Go all the way up to instructor, then tell us how you are treated as a customer. Then one day you are not happy, and think back and say to your self, I spent 15,000 dollars in the last few years and they act like they don't care. So you walk out of the LDS that once was the greatest place to go for your new adventure in diving and say, If I would have taken a rebreather class after OW I would have spent the same amount of money, and air fills would be cheaper now that they want to charge me for air, I mean for christ sake they wanted me to move up con ed, now they don't want me, I taught one summer.

And as you get in your vehicle and drive off you say, YEP If I was a rebreather diver right now, I would feel a hell of a lot better then I do right now, cause I would be dead?

Learn how to not get abused by your LDS and you will be a Freewillie

In my case I think the reason the LDS's (or at least one) is such a turd is because we aren't a dive town and we don't have a choice.
The two in my area also own the other two about an hour away. One is a little better than the other but one get's about a F to a D- depending on the day and who's working, and the other get's about a C+ just because of their ignorance.

The one I really like is two and a half hours away up on the coast and it is really the only one in it's area (very isolated) but I give them a A+.

It seems that generally the ones that are isolated can tend to have the "you need us more than we need you" attitude, except of course the one I mentioned I like.

To answer your question, hell yeah I would support a good LDS in my area.
The problem is none of them have anything I want or are willing to support the stuff I'm into. When I originally bought all my gear I was their best friend. When I got everything I needed (the first time) I became another one of those no money customers that only comes in for air fills. According to them they make no money on air fills so I am considered a second rate customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most gun stores are the exact same way unfortunately... why to people who are good at one thing automatically think they are good at another?

Sigh... I miss you Kittery Trading Post...

Michael

The retail dive business has long been populated with guys that like diving, then one day they wake up with the bright idea of opening a SCUBA store, having no clue whatsoever what retail is all about. Hint: Do not badmouth other local instructors or LDS, even with how hard you are baited to do so.

Overall: if my LDS doesn't sell the item, I buy online. If they do sell the item, and I don't need it stat, I'll save my money to buy it from them.
If I need the item ASAP and I don't have the budget for my LDS, I'll buy online.
The only exception to this is bolt snaps, $12 for a Halcyon bolt snap!? Yeah, sure!:shakehead:

I'm glad I started with my LDS though. There have been several times where I needed a small item such as a gauge sleeve for gear transport. They gave me one for free. :D
Another time I needed webbing for a crotch strap. I got an XS weightbelt and buckle for free (LDS just wanted the pockets). You can't get those types of perks online.

With my luck I bought brand new items from several manufacturers on several separate occasions and I've always had problems with receiving defective gear or getting canned with shipping hassles.

Examples:
My BC was a size too big and had already been in the pool once. Got it replaced with a smaller size.
My brand new Air 2 had a leak at it's connection valve, got it replaced.
Manufacturer botched up and sent me a BC without my repaired Air 2, got it handled.
Integrated weight pockets on my replacement BC wouldn't snap in securely, got them replaced.
=> 8 weeks without my gear because of manufacturer error. Great customer support from both the LDS and manufacturer though.

Trident regulator hose wouldn't swivel, got that replaced.
=> 2 week turn around time.

I would not be happy or calm if I had to handle this with an online retailer.

Now for online retailers.
Some websites don't update their items in stock, so I end up waiting for my things. Sometimes even longer than if I had ordered it at my LDS.
Online retailer sent me a clear mouthpiece when I ordered black.
Online pictures don't represent the actual product I received.
Dimensions of item are either non-existent or conflicting with other sources (spring straps, SMB's, etc)
So many free stickers, I don't want these!

For me, there are only a few select online sites that can provide the customer support on par with my LDS. You send an email and get a reply the next day or sometimes within a few hours. These sites only sell a select choice of items and don't carry a large array of recreational diver "toys".
With the rest, I have a huge love hate relationship. If my LDS sold the things I bought online, I'd take my business with my LDS.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've always liked mine. It's got a better atmosphere than a few other shops I've been to.

I don't want to argue dive philosophy- just sell me the next cool shiny "failure point" I want to add to my rig.
:rofl3:

Two of them I would issue executive clemency because they were being staffed by cute college-age girls during the slack midweek, but only a reprieve.
:rofl3: Yes, sadly, that works on me too. Good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom