Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinghd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok so Im new to side mount diving and I just got the Nomad xt and I was wondering what kind of weight am i gonna need if im going to be diving 2 AL 80s in a 5mm wetsuit

Salt or fresh water.

I used 8lbs total with my trek wing 7mill 2 al 80s and it was more than enough. And I was pretty shallow throughout the entire dive.

IIRC, I was using 3 lbs mounted on each tank to keep the tails from floating as much as well as keep their bouyancy down as they were breathed down.

Moved on to steel 72s later, no weights required, more gas with an overfill, and smaller dimensions... basically all together a better tank if available.

Well that is a tough question because we dont know how much you need for personal buoyancy if any at all. Is the 5mm new? Hood/gloves?

If you dived single mount w/AL80 then I would only add 3Lbs. If you have never dove this gear you have to figure the weight you will need for both tanks (could be as much as 8Lbs for tanks) then the suit.

I use a 5/4 on my hollis with 2 HP100's and use 6Lbs for trim. In a jacket BC with an AL80 I need 18Lbs so there is no correct answer. You just have to play around till you get it right.

Weight placement has multiple purposes. Weights can be used to help with obvious which is negative bouyancy,but they can also depending on placement aide trim. Weights become essential if tank removal is part of the dive plan or a potential,because once a tank is removed you lose some of your ballast-this why I am not a fan of putting weights on tanks.

Greetings divinghd with my nomad I use about 8-14 lbs on a belt depending if I am diving we or dry.
When I am wet a 7mm with hooded vest 5/3 mm with my razor clone harness I use no weight at all but rather move tanks when they become floaty.
I just tried Al 80's with my DS in OW last weekend, I wore 14 lbs and it worked great.

I am 5'10 190-200lbs and I base all my weight calculations on my exposure suit if I were planning to snorkel or free dive with them then add 3lbs per tank to start the process.
Al 80's tend to bet tail light so I like to position a weight on them or move them to a forward d-ring on my
harness.
Do yourself a favor and put some pool time into your rig it makes it a lot easier to gear up at the dive site / training site.

Have fun and dive safe,

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training,,,,Keep Learning!

Diving a farmer John with an sms100 I needed 20lbs on this past sunday

Ok so Im new to side mount diving and I just got the Nomad xt and I was wondering what kind of weight am i gonna need if im going to be diving 2 AL 80s in a 5mm wetsuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom